Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 BOLT...lock right install??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Sep 10, 2001.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

please explain how this procedure goes since I'm going to get mine in the next couple days.....step by step how to install this so called "EASY" locker....thx for all the help in advance
    MIKE

2. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

comes with instructions real e z to do you should have zero problems

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Take out the spiders and side gears. Save the thrust washers from the side gears, you need to put those back on the couplers. Install coupler where the side gear used to go. Add the c-clip and the spacer. Then put in the other coupler. Put the shear pins in the oval-shaped windows(use a lot of thick grease to hold everything in place). Put the drivers in and push the shear pins from the oval-shaped window to the round window on the opposite driver. Slip in the other c-clip. Snap in the springs(this is the hardest step; a small flat screwdriver is helpful). You will do this four times. Rotate the locker to line up the holes and insert the crosspin and bolt.

It is very easy. I have done it four times and removed once(put it back in though). You can do it!

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

4. twenty_below0

can i do this with the truck up on jack stands and with-OUT removing the carrier or do I remove the carrier then install as is explained here.??? THX

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yes it can be done on jack stands, if you can remove the main cross pin in your carrier then you wont have to take the carrier out of the housing. If your ring gear is so thick (depends on your gear ratio) that you cant remove the carrier pin(some call it a cross shaft) then you will have to remove the carrier, and then remove the ring gear. I had to do this on my front Lock Right install, the rear was a no swear 1 hour swap. Did not even have to take the tires off on the back.

The instructions that come with it are very good.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It can (depending on ring thickness) be done without removing the carrier, but removing the carrier made it easier for me on both front and rear axles. I just had to make sure I new which shims went where. I have not done a 12bolt, so I'm not sure if the carrier shims are on the outside or the inside of the bearings. If they are to the inside it's cake, if they are on the outside, it's not too hard, you just have to make sure the shims go back to their original positions. Mark everthing and you should be all set.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

7. twenty_below0

this truck came with 3:08's and I had some 3:73's put in it. since it was the sm. carrier I had to use X's GEARS a special gear made for that exact problem.......ever hear of this??? and question #2 you think this gear size will be to big to leave the carrier in the vehicle or will there be enough room for me to ge t the pin out"?? THX greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! \

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I don't think you will have to remove the carrier. I have a 3.07:1 carrier with the X thich Richmond Gear 4.55:1
    ring gear, and the Lock-right parts fit into and out of, without removing the carrier. Also the cross shaft cleers
    the ring gear by 1/4 inch. Make sure you use the correct tool to loosen the cross shaft retaining bolt, and do not
    over tighten on installation.
    Good luck

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As Executioner stated, you will probably not have to remove the carrier even with the thick ring gear (that's what the 'X' stands for). I removed mine when I did it because I do not have access to a lift and it made it easier to work on. The lock-rights I have done have been on 14FF's and 10 bolt fronts/rears. That was one of the reasons why I wasn't sure about the 12 bolt. I have never worked on any. It's all up to you, if you can do it without removing the carrier you might want to do that, but if for some unforeseen reason you can't, you may have to remove it (or may decide to in order to make it easier).
    Good Luck.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Don't you have to remove the center pin in order to get the axle c-clips out???? On a c-clip axle like the 12-bolt, if you can't get the center pin out with carrier still in the housing, then you can't get the axle shafts out. If you can't get the axle shafts out then you can't get the carrier out of the housing.....then it would be impossible to assemble or disassembly the diff, right???