Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12-bolt Locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dain Fraser, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Dain Fraser

Dain Fraser Registered Member

I've got a 12 bolt underneath the rear of my 81 Blazer and I'm trying to find some options for locking it up. I priced out a Detroit from a local auto parts store and they quoted me $1072 after tax. :( My truck sees some fairly tough offroad duty but is also my daily driver. I'm looking for a way to lock it up that'll withstand future mods and more wheeling but not cost me an arm and a leg. Any ideas? What are my best options? Or should I just bite the bullet?

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I put a Lock-Rite in my 12b and I'm running 35" MTR's.... I've had no problems and it works great :D Got it from Jegs's for around $220 shipped...

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

for $1000 you can get a 14bolt ff locked with a detroit! Then your wheel wont fall off when you break that little 12 bolt

4. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

A mini-spool is a option that costs under $140 and accepts c-clip axles but they recommend installing c-clip eliminators.
    Spools lock both axles together and make driving in the rain a little tricky on paved roads as the outside wheel will skid in turns, both axles are locked in my K10 and it's not a big deal to me when driving around town.
    I have a 205 with manual hubs so 1 hub can be unlocked when needed to give 3-wheel drive on a tight, slippery trail. :bow:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I love my 12 bolt , but streets and tires with sipes scared me off using a spool . I vote lockright , the real ones made by Powertrax ( Richmond now ) . No problems from my 5500 pound truck , street or trail :D

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna guess that you'd be absolutely amazed where the 12 bolt in our Blazer has taken us where a 14 bolt boat anchor would have hung up.

14 bolts aren't the be all end all.

7. Chaddy

you must have open diffs

8. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

I'm also running a 12 bolt with Superior axles and a Detroit Locker and have beat the crap out of it with only a single transfer case, I'm also locked up front with D44 Superior chromos and CTM's and lockright. I love the clearence of the 12 bolt and if you are worried about snapping an axle then maybe wheelin isn't for you.

BTW Randy's ring and pinion sell the Detroit for around 500 bucks.

9. Chaddy

im not worried! i run a 60 up front with 35 spline chromolly's and a shaved,discked 14bolt ff both locked with detroits :D

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yippee skippee for you. Just don't bag on other peoples stuff.

11. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

I have a detroit in mine and I love it. I am currently running 37's and have had no problems. You could try getting a couple more prices, but that sounds about right in Cdn dollars. What kind of wheeling do you do? The 12 bolt will hold up fine as long as you don't shock load it severely.

12. Dain Fraser

I run 35 inch BFGoodrich mud terrains, 7 inch lift, np208 etc. I do alot of mudding and trail running but I've never done any rock crawling, nor do I plan to, there just isn't much in the way of big rocks in this area. As some have pointed out, I like my 12 bolt because it saves me some extra weight on the trail and I'm already one of the heavy guys in my circle of wheeling buddies. I think I will go with the lockright, it sounds like it will hold up fine. Now I need to save up for some 4.10 gears, the locker, and onto the install! Thanks for all your help guys!

13. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

amen :D

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are going to regear I wouldn't bother with a drop in locker. (this ASSumes you will be crossing the carier split, otherwise never mind) You will need a new carier when you regear. Might as well just buy the Detroit and be done. The good news, the 10B you most likely have up front will not need a new carier unless it came w/ 2.43:1. My '80 had 2.73:1 and it was still the same carier when I swapped in the 4.56:1 gears. One last thing, w/ 35s I'd go w/ 4.56s not 4.10.

15. Dain Fraser

I'd rather not change my carrier nor go as low as 4.56's. I need the highway manners and the ability to do 120 kph w/o forcing it, also it'll be cheaper to just do the gears. 4.10's are a step closer to keeping up w/ my buddies 91 jimmy.

16. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I can do that speed with 3.73's and 33 inch tires , but steeper hills in 2wd at speed when the torque converter isn't doing anything , I do occasionally need to go to 3rd gear ( mountain grades 2nd gear ) .

Good News bad news :

Good news is you don't need a new carrier to go lower , the break is at 3.73 .

Bad news is you need to buy and setup gears .

Now a Cheap locker will fit an open carrier if you have one , an expensive locker IS the carrier .

I have miles on m,y Lockright with no problems .

Do not buy a Detroit EZ Locker , or Genuine Gear Quic Loc .

17. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd Go with the lockright. Like pauly said STAY away from the Detroit EZ locker. I put one in my D44 front axle and it grenaded my first time out and I was just barely off pavement. All Click and no action. Would not lock up with the wheels straight.

Still for what you do, the lockright would be more than enough.

18. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If your not gonna go any bigger 35s and and only wanna do up your 12 bolt once,get the Detroit.For that price you got quoted you could get the Detroit and a set of aftermarket axles and have money left over.Im also with the "you dont have to have a 14 bolt to wheel" crowd.I ran a 12 bolt with a Detroit and Moser axles for a long time and it was my daily driver.

And if you have any doubts of how far you can get with 1/2 ton axles,look up Marv Springer and Robzilla :D

19. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

If you know how to wheel and take smart lines instead of just pointing and hammering down all the time you can make a locked 12 bolt live with 39.5" IROKs. How do I know this, cause I do. I run a lock-rite in the 12 bolt and a welded 10 bolt in the front. If you are running on the street put the lock rite in the rear, otherwise save the money and weld it up.

20. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Get a Detroit. I had a Powertrax lockright in back and hated it. Went with the Detroit and no problems. Don't be scared of the C clip axles unless your gonna run big big tires. I run 10 bolts locked front and rear on 35's.