Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12-bolt noise with lock-rite?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmpd, Mar 3, 2002.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I have 12-bolt with 3:73 lock-rite and 33 inch tires. I'm getting a clicking noise when I'm driving. I have the cover off and nothing is broken (ie pins and springs in lock-rite). I know that they make a little noise, but this has gotton worse. It is a constant clicking when I drive straight or turn.

Could it be the bearings on the inside of the housing?

I don't want to grenade it on a long trip with the family.

Anyone have the same sound all the time under power or off the gas?

Thanks Michael

2. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Mine does this when I'm on ice and go to stop , when one tire slides and the other is still turning, like if one is on an ice patch and the other on dry pavement and you hit the brake the one on the ice will slide and lock up but the one on the dry pavement will just slow down and then it makes this loud click,click thing until they both stop together, but never when I'm just driving.It has done this all winter so I hope I dont tear something up, Mike

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The lock-rite will make noise when you turn corners. But it shouldn't make any when you are going straight, When you took the cover off did you look at the pin's? I hope it's not messed up

Eric

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

A buddy of mine had the same set as you 12 bolt 33's and 3.73 . His did the same thing so we pulled it apart and all the little spring for the pin's were streched out. So he go some new ones and we reinstalled it seemed ok but a week or so later it started making noise againe but this time it gernaded. When we pulled apart againe we found the pin springs had streched out againe. We never figured out what the problem was but we concluded that it was a piece of sh!t and was'nt worth the money.

5. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Make sure your tire preasure is the same on both sides.

Kent

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

nothing wrong inside diff.

I found a broken spring on the brakes, and the peice was making the noise

Thanks for the assist
    Michael

7. calvin

calvin 1/2 ton status

Corey, the only time I've seen that happen is if you reuse the old thrust washer or a wore down king pin. Did he check clearances after installing?