Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt or 14 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

is it even worth replacing my 10 bolt with a 12 bolt or should i go right to a 14 bolt??

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

*sigh*

do us a favor and fill out your profile so we know what we are commenting in.

Without knowing what the spec are on your rig, i suggest a 2.5 ton Rear Rockwell. you can get them for the humble sum of $800 at USA6x6

that should be a bit harder to break.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not much difference in strength between the 10 and 12 bolt. A 14 would be a big improvement...

It really depends on how you use your truck. It also depends on how expensive your current 6 lug rims are and how much you like them. Swapping a 14 bolt in is no big deal...but it does lead to more work. You'd need to swap to 8 lug outers up front for example. If you want to run 15" wheels you'll need new rims and have to grind the front calipers...

Overall it's a good upgrade, but if your truck never sees off road or the tire size will never be over 35" the half ton stuff will do just fine.

Rene

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would HIGHLY recomened that you start looking for a wrecked 3/4 Ton truck (Chevy/GMC) with good axles you can buy for cheap. I normally find them for under $400.00 and that way you're sure to get matching gears, and much more parts you can use or sell. After you strip all the parts you want, you can haul the rest acrost the scales and get some beer funds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Plus it's fun taking apart the parts truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do it right the first time and go with the 14ff /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif why do things twice? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i killed my 10 bolt with the gov-loc, said god dammit alot, laughed some too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. couldnt belive what i did. i was lucky i had a bud who had a 10 bolt front and a 12 bolt rear out of a 79 blazer that he had bought off a 79 blazer, why he bought them, i dont know, lucky ol' me called him up, he said sure i'll let you have them fer free, but you gotta pick em up /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. all i said was thanks very much, alot. and then i later realized the 12 bolt matched the front gear ratio of my front axle i currently had, so i threw the 12 bolt in there. they are stronger then the 10 bolt, so i said what the hell, since i couldnt find one in a junkyard, it works for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. mudhog

they are not much stronger than a 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif so don't let it give you a false sense of security

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what!?! no one liked my Rockwell recomendation!?! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    no one liked my Rockwell recomendation!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI DID! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Rockwells and 48" Michelins.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

woot!

uber-cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

plus, you never need to swap gear, cuz they only come in one ratio! I am a money saving machine!

FYI, there is a set of Front and Rear Rockwells over on the PBB for $900 complete hub to hub /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

you never need to swap gear, cuz they only come in one ratio!

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a set of Front and Rear Rockwells over on the PBB for $900 complete hub to hub

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I can use both of these to talk the lady into letting me get em? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif "See...a Dana 60 is at least $1000, for ONE AXLE...and I might break it. I'll NEVER break these. I PROMISE! Plus, I will be the only kid on the block with em." Hell, it's worth a shot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mudhog

i plan on rockwells some day /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i want 4WS one day and i think rockwells are the way to get it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if i had to do it all over again with a trail only rig, i would do rockwells.
    can't beat the price, the only turn off is having a detroit locked front. but it wouldn't be street driven so i guess i wouldn't care.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There are other drawbacks to Rockwells, the main one that I didn't like is the fact that the truck has to be so dang tall with them. ALso the fact that they are so wide. I found a set of 3 rockwell axles a few years ago, the guy was moving and wanted to sell them all for $150 with 6 good tires. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I considered it until I realized how tall the truck was going to have to be in order to clear the 3rd member. Brakes get expensive too, and they are heavy bastards as well.</font color>

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You can get Selectro locking-hubs for the Rockwells. A friend of mine just put them on his Deuce! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

tp clear the top loader? that is the beauty of them!

Run coils on all sides. with a trail rig, you only need to buy brakes once. the weight would be down low. build a tube buggy and smash thehell outta it!

this sounds beter and better with each beer i have /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I agree the toploader is cool, but that thing is biiig, and the lift has to be real tall so it doesn't bash the engine. I dunno, they'd be cool on a mud truck, but not my thing for a trail rig. </font color>

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

dunno. all the snipers run them. that is the ultimate, IMHO.

Snipers really can do it all. I liked the on in the 2000 TTC. Rockwells, SBC, TH-350 (IIRC), 205, 44" TSL's, Coilovers.

basic stuff, made to work

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a rig with an TH350 trans, NP205, 6.72 gears, and 2x slip in theconverter would only have a crawl of 66:1

Add a doubler and it gets to 133:1

I'm only at 41:1 right now, so i am not in much better shape, and that is with converter slip /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif