Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt posi ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Sep 17, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hi guys some of you might remember that I posted about my 12 bolt rearend breaking two teeth one from the pinion and one from the ring well I haven't fixed it cause I was debating on wheter to regear or buy another one and swap them well I bought another one but this time it's a posi unit 12 bolt, my question is what gears would it have if when I turn the wheel one complete time the shaft turns a little over 4 times, the guy I bought it from told me it had 411's but I thought that 411's were only for F*rds and 410 for chevys so wich one do you guys think it is or am I wrong and he's right any info on this question appreciated thanks guys, by the way I bought the rear differential for $175 is that a good price????? the gears do look good.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

2. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Iff its a chevy rear it should have the gear ratio stamped in the ring gear. If you cant read or find that count total number of teeth on ring gear then count total number on pinion gear and divide this will give you the ratio. I really dont know about the tire/d-shaft thing. Ive never really got how to do that. 175 is a good price for around here. I paid 150 for a 12 bolt 3.73 without posi.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

4.10s, 4.11s, what does it matter if you spun it then counted, a little over 4 times, then yes 4......something. You could A, get the code off the rear, then run it, someone on this site always has a code breakdown. Or do what I would, change the gear oil and while the cover is off count up the ring and pinion teeth, then divide pinion into ring and wala. also check the posi clutches and if you want replace them so you don't have to be hassled down the line........JS its probably 4.11s

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have 4.10's in it.People just call them 4.11 somtimes just like somepeople call Landcruisers or old Nissan Patrols Jeeps.It is just a generic term.Chevy's actually have 4.09's in the front 44's and 4.10's in rear 12 bolts and FF14's.That is a fair price compared to regearing the other one.I blew out the pinion bearing in my 12 bolt last year.I bought a pair of axles(44 front and 12 bolt for $100)with the wrong gears I needed.So i had the new rear axle regeared(4.10's).I put all new gears and bearings in and had it set up a Stage West.It cost me about $600 total but I have an axle that is basicly new.I would tear down the axle and check everything before you put it in and make sure it is all fine.Brady

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guys thanks for the answers, I guess I'll do the oil change and count the teeth and come up with the ratio, I'll also going to tear the thing appart and change whatever needs to be changed thanks again.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I have 12 bolt possi front and rear, oh ya 4.11's front and rear.
    Good day

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that is skeptical about your "12-bolt front". I know that the factory never came out with a 12-bolt front axle. If you do have one, it's not factory. It's a completely custom axle. It might be a good idea, but they never came with them and I've never heard of one being built. Show us a picture that clearly illustrates a 12-bolt front-end and this skepticism will end. Not trying to start a fight, I just want to see this thing.

Thanks,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I think your looking at a dana 44 and counting the 12 bolts that hold the dif. cover on then calling it a 12 bolt.Look at the shape of the front then compare it to the rear.The 44's side are straight up and down and the 12 bolts cover is more round.Brady

9. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Dana 44's 60's and 70's have 10-bolt covers.

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

10. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Hey Now if the "EXECUTIONER" says its a FACT it must be so, he's never wroung and HE NEVER BACKS UP HIS FACTS!!!!! I would love to know were he gets front drive axels, no he would never need one! Its a FRONT 12 BOLT!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    It's a two of a kind thing, you would not understand !

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Let me guess.....I bet the Executioner has that rare factory option front 12-bolt plus the even rarer factory front posi option. So rare that only 1 was ever produced, right??????
    I definitely want to see a picture of this front 12-bolt so we have some "verifiable facts"..........

13. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

children, children......

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!