Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt posi???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 18, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Someone was telling me they have a 12bolt moroso(SP) posi out of a older chevy truck. Im wondering what this is does anyone know and what a gov lock? and I think its sposta be stock

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Part of your question seems to be what is a gov-lok. The factory limited slip device is an Eaton gov-lok, it uses a centrifical weight and clutches to "lock-up" the differential. It is known to be relatively weak in the 10 bolts and 12 bolts, it will break with abuse and/or bigger tires. Also please fill out your profile - it will encourage people to respond if they know a little about you, where you are from and what your vehicle is.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The moroso is a really good unit IMO. Unless its completely worn out, its good. Also, the moroso unit can be rebuilt, meaning new clutch packs can be installed.

I run one in one of my trucks. The preload on the clutches is about 800lbs. It is a very tight unit.

Just my .02,
    John /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

But how does the moroso work simial to a detroit or or where you can spin 1 tire for a little wile but the other will adventually catch????? Its not a full locker like a spool is it?

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It is a limited slip differential. Not a locker. It works fine for mild offroad, but for full traction a detroit is best. I use mine on my sand drag trucks. Works fine for me.

John