Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt prob

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by luk3, Apr 7, 2003.

1. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

i have a question about my 12 bolt , its a 89 chevy half ton pickup, when i give it gass it would clunk once then seem to be fine, i opend it up all gears seem fine, i was wondering if it was a govlock but im not sure if it even has one, took it into a mechanic he said the rear end is gone, any ideas of exacty what it could be or how /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif to fix it?
    thanks

2. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

sounds like the pop noise is coming from the ring gear or the yoke, when i put it into gear.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A 12 bolt in an 89? I assume that you swapped it in? It sounds like there's not really enough information to make a good diagnosis, but if you trust the mechanic then it's probably gone. Why not just ask him what was "gone" in it?</font>

4. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

sorry its not a 12 bolt my dad was wrong, well i dont like the mechanic he didnt even give us all the bolts back with the truck, and the mechanic looked at it about 6 months ago se we dont know exactly, its not the ujoints the sound seems to come from the yoke area.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well if it is a gov-bomb, they like to be sloppy like that, at least mine did, then it blew up due to a carrier bearing ear that broke off with the bearing, and a yoke that was finger tight, it was a mess, so i did swap in a 12 bolt, open /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifLIFTED /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif