Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sammy8811, Apr 11, 2007.

1. sammy8811

sammy8811 Registered Member

i've been looking for a new set of axles to upgrade from my stock 3.08s and i found a 12 bolt rear with 4.10 for $75. I'm gonna go check it out tommorow and probably buy it. I was just wondering what i should inspect on it to make sure its alright...and if I buy it what should i do to it before i put it under my blazer.

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Pull the diff cover off and inspect the gears looking for any damage etc.
    If they let you, slide off one or both the 'c' clips and pull the axle out far enough to look at the shaft where the wheel bearing rides.

I'd put new wheel bearings and seals along with brake cyclinders and maybe brakes while it's out. And change gear oil of course.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, one more thing. I got a replacement 12bolt for my '73 a few years back. When I called they said it was a 6 bolt wheel pattern. Turned out to be 5 bolt. So I used my 6 bolt axles where the 5 bolters were. Never had any problems. If you run into that change the bearings for sure.

4. sammy8811

sammy8811 Registered Member

thanks for the reply. I picked it up today.. gears are good...but probably will replace the brakes

5. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

make sure the housing isnt bent too, i know its a little late but my friends 12bolt housing is bent, i'm wondering if this happens alot with older rear ends...???