Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt Questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speedyvision917, Jul 29, 2004.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

I might be able to get a cheep 12 bolt rearend to replace my stock 10bolt, and have never done this swap before so i was wondering if ya'll could give me some tips on doin it. Will i need any customization done to do the swap? im pretty sure i wont but im just checking. also what will i need to replace/get? also any tips you can give me would be great.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You need a conversion u-joint and thats pretty much it if its a 6 lug axle . All your brakes from the backing plate to the lug nuts will transfer over to that 12 bolt housing . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

shock mounts may be diferent.12 bolts had both going to the frront of the axle.while 10 bolts had one going forweard and one going to rear.spring perches should be the same width.brake lines should match up to keep the same lines on the new axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. speedyvision917

also what gears come in the 12bolt? i found a guy with a ton of trucks with 12 bolts in them and he said 225 for one. and i think the gears are 4.10 but im not sure but if theres different gear wich would be best for my truck, ill be running 35s and 4 inch lift. and if its an 8 lug what will i need to change and what can i take from the truck i get the axle out of to put on my truck to limit buying more stuff?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    and if its an 8 lug what will i need to change and what can i take from the truck i get the axle out of to put on my truck to limit buying more stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

If its an 8 lug axle , and its GM with your body style , it sure won't be a 12 bolt , it will be stronger ( with less ground clearance ) .

Take the 8 lug axle amd matching front axle for the gears to be the same , lees work that way , as you won't need to redo your gears up front . More than likely it will have 3.73 or 4.10 gears most commonly , but 4.56 are out there . You could run a conversion u - joint on the rear , or have your shaft modified with the right u-joint size to run these axles .

Try to talk him lower if you end up with a 6 lug axle though , with everyone wanting 8 lug and an abundance of 6 lug axles , it should cost less than 150.00 , well at least where I am from /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. speedyvision917

ok well i got to take a trip to his house/junkyard and we walked around his property and looked in a couple trucks and i found a 6lug 12bolt in and older stepside chevy im not sure which year but its either late 70s or early 80s, and i opened it up and the gears look good and clean, and not chipped at all. we'll see what we can get him down to, wats the most ya'll would pay for it? its a 6lug 12bolt, its rusty but just a good surface rust witch i can fix.