Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaggyk5, Aug 31, 2000.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

if i were to get a 12 bolt out of a first generation (71) blazer, would i have to move any shock mounts/spring pads to put it in my 85? just wondering, thanks.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I am curious as to why you'd want to do this. The 12 bolt is only marginally stronger then the 10 bolt you have now. If I were you and going to upgrade, I'd go for a 14 bolt.

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The 12 is about 15 to 20% stronger but you have to move the shock mounts and the spring pads to do this. go for the 14 bolt same work yet much stronger

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Alright, I'm gonna have to defend the 12bolt here a little. I don't think its "marginally" stronger than the 10 bolt, heck, its a lot stronger. 10 bolts is pushing 33"s, and I mean pushing it. I wouldn't do it. But my 12 has survived me nicely with 35". Pretty harsh wheelin too. I know, 14 is the best, etc, etc, and eventually I may upgrade to a 14 SF. B/c I don't think I'll run anything larger than 36", the 14FF would just be overkill I think, but who knows. Anyways, knock on wood, 12 will do much better than your 10. And correct me if I'm wrong, don't the 10, 12 and 14 SF have the the shock mounted at the same spot. I thought it did. It should bolt right up. The 14FF you would have to move the shock mounts.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Boss, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I currently have a 12 bolt with 35's and have already went thhough a spider gear set and axle shaft without doing any wheeling yet(still neet a front axle). My last Blazer had a 10 bolt with 35's and I did quite a bit of heavy duty wheeling with it, never having any problems. I realize that this is just one case for each axle, but it reinforces for me that these axles aren't much different in strength. I'm not sure, but I think that axle shafts for both are of similar size and strength, the only real difference being ring gear size.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well i am the oddball... I had a 10 bolt with 35's and only had one axle break and I bet I would have broke a 14FF in the same situtation, so I liked the 10 bolt and never gave me probelms Gov-lok and all.I wheeled 4-5 days a week with the 10 bolt.

I have a 12 bolt now and wheel the hell out of it and it hasn't given me any probelms. Actually there are three of us in my club that run 12 bolt and they are all going good with 35's and one has a Detroit and the other a mini spool and I will be going full spool soon.

So I will defend the 10 and the 12 bolt! :) i like them both.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I think the frame is different on the '72 and older Blazers.So you would need to move the spring perches and shock mounts.Get one from a '73 or newer.I have been wheeling a 12 bolt for years and the only problem I have had is the pinion bearing blew out.It took out the carrier and gears.Built a new one after that.The detriot E-Z locker surrvived though.I have 33" swampers and wheel hard.Brady