Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12-bolt rear donor vehicles...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Mar 23, 2001.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'd like to get a 12-bolt rear to put in my garage and start slowly building up, as time & money permit. I understand the ones from 3/4-ton vans were the best because of the extra 4" of track width. Rather than going to the yards and asking for a "12-bolt", which will probably get me a bigger pricetag, I want to ask for a readend for a "(whatever year) Chevy V20, C20, whatever, van". What are the years and models that I should be asking for? Thanks

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

I have two 79 1/2 tons that both have 12 bolts. I believe they were used throughout most of the 70's on 1/2 tons.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you looking for a 12-bolt, 1/2-ton rear end or a 14-bolt, 3/4-ton rear end? I don't think that you'll find a 12-bolt under a 3/4-ton van. That should be where you'll find a 14-bolt full floater. If you stick with the same model year as your K5, you're more likely to get an axle that will bolt in easier, though the 14-bolt didn't change much over the years.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You might go to the ORD forum and ask Stephen. He is one of the people that pointed out the van was wider. That is great but the van didn't come 4x4 so you may run into a issue of not finding a mass produced 6 lug axle if that was your plan that will fit the extra width. Might have to spend some real cash to make it 6 lug to match the front axle. Stephen was selling his Van 12 bolt that was already built but he wanted big cash because of all the custom parts he had made.
    Some other alternatives to look at is the Full Floater 14. You can find those all day long and getting them for $200 is not uncommon and parts are cheap (heck a detroit for a open 14ff is like $320 Detroit for a 12 is $520). Converting the front axle to match the 8 lug is not difficult and parts are readily available.
    D60 that was available as a 6 lug and parts are available.
    14 semi floater from the late 80's that had 6 lug.
    Any of those axle are probably easier to locate and far cheaper to modify as over the counter parts are available. Down side is most will have the same track as the 10 bolt and 12 bolt that came in the 4x4's

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Track width can be corrected with the spacers much cheaper than buying/making parts for the van axles. I think the perches have to be moved on the van axles too.

One more thing about the C14FF, not only is the Detroit Locker cheaper, it can be installed without the PIA gear setup. You can do it in your driveway with no problem, just messy. However, the DL is pretty much your only choice other than a very limited selection of limited slips (factory only?) or a "Lincoln Locker" (weld up). It is much bigger and much heavier than the 12 bolt and you will loose about 1.5’ (I think) of clearance but it is stronger (IMHO and from what I have heard) in stock form than a 12 bolt with over $2k of modifications.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I'll sell you the 12 bolt from my K5 for $100 if you want it.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the votes for the 14-bolt, but that's not what I want. Realistically, it'll be a LONG time before I move up from 33's and/or a mild 350, and a 14-bolt with 33's would really be an obstacle, in my opinion. A little overkill, too. I'm trying to avoid using spacers on a semi-floating axle (bearing & axleshaft stress), and I know axleshafts for the van rear would probably end up custom-length, but is there really that much price difference? I hadn't looked into it that far; maybe I should have...

Keep the opinions coming anyway, we'll all learn something from this post!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!