Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt rear end question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, May 17, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The rear end in my 76 Blazer is the factory originnal. It's bone stock, nothings ever been done to it. I just replaced the U-joints in the drive shaft. The 12 bolt has play in it. It clunks like a bad U-joint when I go from reverse to drive and vice-versa. It also has that feel and clunk sound when I give it gas after coasting down hill . How worried should I be ????

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Are you sure it's the 12 bolt making the clunk? Could be slop in the t-case too. Mine kinda does the same thing....Always has. Still does it even with the new 12 bolt...I reset the backlash, preload everything. It's not as bad as before, but it still does it it a bit.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I know there is play in the rear end. Don't know if the clunking is coming from rear end or T-case. Thought it was comming from rear.

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

there is spoesed to be some play in it or it would bind , could also be your t case and trans .

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It sounds like a bad U-joint. I don't notice it all the time, but some times it's pretty loud, and I do feel it.

6. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

my bet is on the transfer case. i bet the chain is a bit worn!! i had an 86 k5 that did the same thing and i kept pumping money into the rear end and u-joints to no avail.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The chain only drives the front output shaft of the t-case. So a worn chain should not have any effect on the amount of slop in the rear driveline.