Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt rear gears, who's should I use and why ?????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slider, Aug 4, 2003.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

12 bolt rear gears, who\'s should I use and why ?????????

I have a 12 bolt with 456 gears and a locker. I ripped two teeth off my pinion gear but was smart enough to stop before I screwed everything up. The old gear set were Motive Gears and the worked well but loosing two teeth off the pinion makes me wonder about using them again. They had about 45,000 miles on them. All the bearings looked perfect never made a noise until it went. I do not do any hard wheling anymore but I do pull a 27 foot travel trailer that weighs 6500 lbs. Any suggestions for gears to use. Randy's has the best price but that is not what I am looking for. I need something that will stand up and live long. Also I pulled out everything including the axle bearings. I used the 1 1/2 spacers and the axle bearings looked good as new. I pull that trailer about 8 times a year across the state. I thought they would show more wear than that but they looked good. Thanks for the input. Slider /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Re: 12 bolt rear gears, who\'s should I use and why ?????????

I am not really a big fan of 4wheelparts warehouse but they have the "free replacement no questions asked policy" and from what I have heard they actually do respect that. I bought my 12 bolt gears there and so far they have not given me any trouble but that was only 5 months ago. I think that for 4.56's you will need thick gears so expect to pay more than normal gears, I think I paid $180 for mine. You can also try and call Randy's Ring & Pinion or Drivetrain direct.

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Re: 12 bolt rear gears, who\'s should I use and why ?????????

I like Reider Racing. They have very knowledgeable sales people and their customer service is excellent. They are competitively priced even for the good stuff. They carry Precision gear. PG makes some high quality ring and pinions. You can also get some of the cheaper stuff from Reider.