Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt rear, tru-trac front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Oct 11, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

picked up a 12 bolt rear end, welded w/ 4.10's, in the process of regearing the front and throwing in a tru-trac... are those tought to put in? or should i just have it professionaly done? also, how is the 12 bolt gonna act on the road due to being welded? i paid 100 bucks for it, good ass deal! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    oh, and with the new 4.10 gears, will my diesel k5 run like its supposed to with 33's?

-Juice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

700R4 + 4.10 + 33" tires = PERFECT

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I had really bad luck with the true trac in my dana 44 with 33 mudrovers. The true trac (the one made by detroit right?) ended up falling apart and destroying my ring gear. It helped me decide to get a dana 60 and an ARB but the guys at 4wheelers and Detroit Locker (aka tractech) said that the true trac is a very light duty application that should not see wheel in the air wheeling. Ah, well but if its already too late... good luck

4. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well i havent bought it yet, just was looking at them.. cuz i want something up front u know?

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i seem to remember hearing about early trutracs having a problem where some kind of bolt or something on them would work its way loose and then eventually cause the thing to fail... any1 else remember this? forget exactly where I read it.. but I thought tractec fixed the problem. could be wrong. I ran trutracs front and rear back when I was half ton, they worked great for me...

j

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a True-Trac in my front 10 bolt.. Its a nice unit, but if you want something that is going to lock up 100% of the time go with a Detroit.... Seems like my True-Trac likes to unlock when ya need it.

7. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a True-Trac in my front 10 bolt.. Its a nice unit, but if you want something that is going to lock up 100% of the time go with a Detroit.... Seems like my True-Trac likes to unlock when ya need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

well its my daily driver, and i want just a little something up front to help out.. since im staying 1/2 ton.. u know? maybe later on down the road i can upgrade.. but for now im staying with the 10 front 12 rear

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have a Tru Trac in my D44 front. It works very well, however I have a Tru Trac in the rear 12B as well, which makes an undesireable situation when one wheel is off the ground. The trutracks dont hold when one wheel lifts, and trying to clutch, throttle and brake to try and lock it up just doesnt work too good! My plan is to have the Tru Trac in the front, with a welded rear 14FF. That way, even if the front isnt locked tightly, the rear should push the truck forward. I think anyways.
    Mike

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I ran a Tru-trac in the rear 10-bolt for several years and never had any problems with it, even with 35" tires and trail use. It's one of the best limited slips I have ever used, but as mentioned several times it does not replace a true locker in hardcore action.