Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt Rear Van Axle Build-up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by performance1, Mar 14, 2002.

1. performance1

performance1 Registered Member

I have a '89 Blazer (700R, NP241, 350cu, 10bolt-30 spline axles, 33" BFG tires, 4" lift) that I'm planning on replacing the rear axle (and change my gearing from 3.73 to 4.10). My Blazer is used mostly for desert/beach/baja pre-running... very little to no rock use. Never been broken, would like to just upgrade due to mileage (120k) and gearing needs. I do not want the weight, nor need the beef of a 14B! Even though it's going to cost me lots $$, the perfect rear axle for my Blazer would be:
    1. A 12 bolt van axle housing. Provides a 3" wider track than stock; matching the stock front axle housing width.
    2. Convert to Full Floater (Warn FF Kit? Would this work?)
    3. Upgrade axles to heavy duty (ORD? Moser?)
    4. Convert drum to disc brakes.
    5. Keep my 6 lug rims. NO desire to change to 8 lug.

Here are my questions:
    1. What year vans offer 12 bolt?
    2. Any 12-bolt van axles with stock disc brakes? If not, approx cost/recommendations on converting to disc brakes?
    (I also need to keep parking brake operational)
    3. If 12B vans only offer 5 and 8 lug, how do I change axles to 6 lug? Is this possible? How? Full Floater Kits available?
    4. Any need to change/adjust my brake proportioning valve?

It would sure be great if someone made an axle like this. Any help on the above 4 questionswould be greatly appreciated!

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have several of the parts you are looking for on the For Sale Boards. Check it out

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=partsforsale&amp;Number=354290&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1&amp;PHPSESSID=27d6419c3a2cc4891ff1aa8310d72578>12 Bolt Parts For Sale</a>

Note, my Moser shaft I have for sale is not the Van type. About your questions - I think Watson had a Full Floater Warn kit installed on a Van 12 bolt housing, so they are available. Your upgrade to disks will not require a proportioning valve. Not sure about the years of vans, but I would say most all 1/2 ton vans probably had them up to early 80s, another question for Watson. I have the Warn Full Floater kit installed on a regular 12 bolt truck housing and like it alot.

Check out my parts for sale...

3. performance1

Mudzer,
    Thanks for your reply and offer of parts. At this point I'm still doing my research... will not need any parts until I figure out if this van axle thing is even do-able (although we all know that with enuf $$, anything is possible). How do you recommend getting Watson to address my 4 questions?

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just for clarity, part of the Warn FF kit is new axle shafts

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I would say either email him or post something on the Offroad Design forum on these boards. He checks them daily - unless he is sick (right Stephen?).

You could also edit your initial post and change the subject to Hey Watson, question for you.... or something to that matter.

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

check out my pics page , i have a van 12 bolt with discs yadd yadda /forums/images/icons/smile.gif actually it is Watsons old one .

7. performance1

Andy,
    Thanks for the pics. Any details (year of housing, any snags installing?, likes/dislikes, etc.) would greatly be appreciated. If I remember correctly, Watson's old axle had 4.56 gearing.
    Any interest in selling?

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

no intrest in selling , unless u want to pay what i paid for em /forums/images/icons/smile.gif so i could get a 14 blt sf and d 60 front hehe . umm no snags installing , no i dea of the year of the housing . not really any dislike cept no e brake and they squeal a bunch off road but that is easily fixed and the e brake will get fixed when i put in my line lock . thats about it ...

9. performance1

Andy, I'm only interested in rear axle. What is the current gearing? Locking Diff? How much do you want for it?

10. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

2 K $ it has 4.56 gears , detroit locker , disk brakes &lt;good cond &gt; warn ff kit , 1350 pinion yoke , awesome truss over the top , and wheel spacers , large tubes ...i think thats it ...-

ps i dont really want to be stuck with a 1/2 ton 10 bolt so i probly wont sell them seperate , but i might ...

-Andy

11. performance1

Andy, I'll email you later.