Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt rear with 3.42s in illinois

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by dodgedude99, Jun 26, 2004.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i just pulled the 12 bolt out of my K5.
    it has 3.42's ( /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) and maybe a LSD?
    it does have the conventional spider gears but there are also some sort of worm type gears behind that that rides against a couple of levers with springs.

it may not be a LSD, but its not like the typical open im used to seeing.
    $75 obo.
    i also have the 10 bolt front whole or parts.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like gov lok to me, if was eaton posi clutch type then it would have clutch discs and springs and the flat plates that are on both ends of the springs, i know that in 79 they were gov lok, but in 73 they were still good ol eaton clutch posi, i dont know 74-78 years though,

what year is the axle and what is the casting number of the axle diff housing about 7 digits long, are sure its 3.40 and not 3.42 ?

i just want ot know for personal GM technical information collection purposes

thanks for your time

3. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

the ring gear actually says 3.42 on it.
    as far as the numbers, i would have to get cozy with the wire wheel for a couple of hours to find it, the axle seems like it has been undercoated, and the leaking transfer case im sure didnt help it either.
    the case is the reason why the floor boards in that area didnt rot away. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif