Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt rebuild or junk

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DOUGHBOY, Oct 14, 2000.

1. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

a friend of mine gave me a 12 bolt rear end.it is complete drum to drum but it is missing the ring a pinion,of have a corprate 10 now,my question is would it be worth the time and money to have it rebuilt new r&p bearings and all or should i just find one that is complete,my corp10 is needing rebulit or junked so i thought it would be easyier to have the 12 built and then just swap them out one saturday.what do you think

guns dont kill postal workers do

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Depends, what exactly is missing from the 12 bolt? Carrier, spiders, yolk, bearing caps, etc. If any of that stuff is gone- forget it. BTW, did it have a gov-lock, and is it still there? What gears were in it originally? Do you know? I may be interested in some spare parts for mine.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just my personal opinion, but I think you'll be better off leaving in the 10 bolt until you find a 14 bolt to throw in. You don't get a whole lot of strength increase by going to the 12 bolt and I've actually had better luck with 10 bolts than I have with my current 12 bolt.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Jason, What problems did you run into on your 12 bolt. Just curious, I have one in my truck, and one in my blazer. No problems with the one on the truck since I built it 3 years ago, the blazers not on the road yet.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

5. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i personally like 12 bolts because of the reduced size and weight, these two factors are very important to me. the reduced wieght means less power needed to move the rig and less unsprung weight, and the reduced size means that extra couple of inches to use.
    in my opinion it is worth the money to beef it up, but only if it is done right. many will disagree with me. a 14 is strong stock, easy to install and will take much abuse. but if you want ultimate why dont you just bolt in a bus rearend. the reason is it is too big. i see the the 14 in the same way. it is too big for a 1/2 ton. but build up the 12 and u get the best of both worlds.
    my $0.02

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

6. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

the pumkin is empty all that is there is all brakes and drums, axle housing,and axles.thats the way i got it

guns dont kill postal workers do

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Don't waste your time and money, do what Jason said. Or fix up the 10 bolt if you want to save a little cash.

8. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I had a side gear crack in half on me. It, in turn took out the spider gears, the splines on the right axleshaft and put a few chips in the ring gear teeth. The bad part is that I haven't even taken this Blazer off-road yet(the front Dana 44 grenaded on me). This is with 35's and 4.10's. Incidentally, I just came into possession of a 1970 3/4 ton Ford pickup and I think the full floating rear in it may be an easy swap with the 12 bolt, I'll figure it out soon.

9. FWP

FWP CRS

What were you doing when the 12 bolt blew up? How much HP you pushin? Tranny type? Sorry for all the questions, but any info you can give will be valuable, so the rest of us can avoid what happened to you. Thanks

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My original 12 bolt blew shrapnel right through the cover.[​IMG] The only good part was that I had'nt bought it yet, I was on a test drive. (no I did'nt sidestep the clutch at 5000 RPM either) All I was doing was trying to get out of the parking lot, heard a loud bang and came to a sudden stop. I had to wait 2 weeks for the car lot to rebuild the 12 bolt before I got the truck. 6 months later I put in the 14 bolt FF and 8 lug D 44 front. I never trusted that 12 bolt. For me it was a peace of mind thing for when I went wheelin'. Not only that, but for what it would have cost to build my 12 bolt up, I got my D44, 14 bolt, NP 205, SM 465, and both driveshafts, and had enough left over to get some 35" MT's.
    Just my biased opinion, but I think I got more bang for the buck.

Rene

[​IMG]

11. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I was just making a left turn. I have an Autozone 350 with Edelbrock Performer manifold and carb, Dynomax headers going into a 2.5" dual exhaust. I do have a heavy right foot, but I've treated other vehicles worse, including my old '85 K-5 with a 3.08 10 bolt and 35's and never had any problems.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would say build it! They hold uup nicely. I am running one now with 4.10's, open with 35x15.50x15 TSL's and haven't had any problems!!!!..

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com