Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12-bolt side bearing caps HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5kraze, Mar 14, 2001.

1. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

I just finished the gear swap from the 3.08s to 4.56s in my 12-bolt rear.
    Got a perfect pattern, and the backlash is exactly 0.005 inches.
    But my main concern are the carrier side bearing caps. Is there a recommended torque sequence for them? i.e. criss-cross or do I have to torque one completely down, then the other?
    I am not sure, but I think that in some magazine I read that the torque sequence is important (just as on enigne main bearing caps).

Any recommendations - I just want to be sure, since this is my first gear swap.

thanks in advance

"DO IT TODAY - TOMORROW IT COULD BE ILLEGAL"

i

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by k5kraze on 03/14/01 10:44 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

Come on guys, no k5-owner in the forum who has ever changed gears in a 12-bolt axle?
    Any info about the torque sequence of the carrier side bearing caps is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

"DO IT TODAY, TOMORROW IT COULD BE ILLEGAL!"

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Not sure if there is a "correct way" but when ever I'm in doubt I always do the criss cross patern. Haven't had a problem in the 2 years it's been since I pulled mine.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

And don't try to do it all at once. If I don't know/can't find the recommended pattern, I make a educated guess and cycle through my "pattern" several times tightening a little each time. I don't know if that is valid or not but I've not had any problem with numerous intakes and such that I have applied that too.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Changed mine recently, and there is no pattern to torqueing them. I stepped torqued the caps first to 45 ft lbs, then to 65 ft lbs. Did left, then right.