Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt swap Questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ok, probably putting a 12 bolt in place of my 10 bolt in my 86 k10...what ujoint to use? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif currently it has a 534G from napa in the rear driveshaft at both joints..can i reuse this or is there an adapter joint, also, will my 10 bolt brakes bolt right on to the 12 bolt housing??
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.giftia

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yes, your 10 bolt brakes will fit onto the 12 bolt, i had to do this with my old 10 to 12 swap because the rear end was free, but had no brakes, but it had backing plates, so i just swaped everything over. as for the u-joint be prepared to spend 30$ and, get the 348 from napa, that is what i am useing, it isnt the best joint, but if you can get the Percision version of the U-joint, that one is tougher then the napa 348, but the 348 is greaseable, and is what fit me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, but when mine breaks again im going to find the percision u-joint and shove that in there.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Confedneck

so a 348 joint eh?
    as far as brakes...i meant everything from the backing plates out as the ones off the 12 bolt i got the 6 lug shafts from are bent, and everything is rusted together on the other 12 bolt with the right ratio...

4. 87sm465np208

yep 348 joint, cant use the shafts out of the 10 bolt into the 12 bolt, but yes even the backing plates will fit, some guys just leave the backing plates together with the hydrolics hooked up so when you put the rear end on, you dont need to bleed the brakes
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Confedneck

noooo...got a free 12 bolt last night, 6 lug 3.73 open.. everythings rusty but the shafts are good and i bent up the backing plates taking the drums off...bent the drums too..
    buying a 12 bolt with 3.40s and 5 lug...gonna put the 10 bolt brakes on the 12 bolt with 3.40s and the 6 lug shafts into it..and away i go, hopefully...trucks been down almost a week now..wait, maybe its been 2...doh..

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Like he said, All the brake stuff swaps over between the 10 and 12b.

7. 87sm465np208

sounds like a good plan, i was too going to swap axles with another axle untill i found out that the axle already had the right ratio /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. good luck on that, and you WILL miss that gov-loc, i miss mine, but i dont miss the hassle it gave me. but you will get used to having a open diff. until you decide to lock it, i would if i was extrime or a hardcore off-roader, but im not, so i left mine open. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Confedneck

yeah...i wont mind having an open...the only reason im not worried about it, is because it just needs to drive until i can afford one tons and such...but thats after paint and other things...

9. Confedneck

ok, to the top...gonna put axle seals and axle bearings in it tonight and maybe fill it with oil and see how she goes...installation this weekend or next week...just to make sure, will my 10 bolt u-bolts and spring plates still work with the 12 bolt? thanks guys..

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

YES they will work if you dont belive me pull a ubolt and wrap it around the axle tube /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    but when mine breaks again im going to find the percision u-joint and shove that

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean, when yours breaks again? You know what a broken u-joint looks like, and you sure as hell didn't break your last one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif