Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt to 14 bolt swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NOT4SHW, Jun 9, 2001.

1. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Does anyone know if a 14 bolt from a '79 burb is a direct bolt-in for a '79 Blazer. Also does anyone know if the burb's came with full floaters in '79, the burb has center caps and I didn't have my lug wrench. If it's a semi-floater what is it worth? It there anyway to tell the gear ratio without pulling the cover? Also I located a 14 bolt from a dually does it matter any hidden problem with the dually axle?

More help needed! I've located a 14bff from a '80 Chevy van. Has anyone ever used a van axle? I'm going to try and get the ratio using the vin #. Wish me luck! Found it just about 1 hr ago for $150. WOW!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by NOT4SHW on 06/09/01 06:22 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

Easiest wat to tell if it is a FF is to look at the diff cover. Here is a pic of the full floater cover on my truck:
    http://www.bowtiecrawler.com

3. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

What is different on the semi cover? Cool diff cover! What is envolved the the conversion from dual to single? I have no idea.

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,

4. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

If I remember right, the semi is rounder. It doesnt have the distinctive staight line that the FF has. As for the conversion, IF you could find a place to do it for you, it involves cutting the spindles off i think and rewelding single wheel spindles on, not too sure. Also, I think the dually axles are actually narrower than the singles. Really, just not worth the effort.

78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bowtiecrawler.com>http://www.bowtiecrawler.com</A>

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

The unit from the 'Burb will bolt in. Just need a conversion joint, or new shaft with 1350's. The van unit is wider, and spring perches and shock mounts will need moved. I had a van FF given to me last year. I have not taken exact measurements. I just did preliminary ones to see if was the same as a pick-up.

They didn't start with the SF until sometime in the early 80's, so the '79 should be a FF.

6. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

The 14 bolt FF from the Sub will drop right in. Converting the dually 14 bolt will requireat least single wheel spindles and possible all the brake parts. It's not worth is it unless all the parts can be gotten for free or little cost. Also the van is a bit wider and usually had narrower brake drums than the 1 ton trucks. My 79 3/4 ton Sub had the giant wide brake drums though. You are in most likley in for u-joint mods though.
    David