Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt torque specs - pinion nut

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rolled, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I did a search with no success.

I need to know the proper torque spec for a 12 bolt. I am looking for the spec that GM used when it was built. I am not a fan of counting threads or any other crazy ways. Anyways, I have already removed the nut so the only way to get it on right is to torque it.

Also - Why does everybody say to replace the nut? I have not heard of this before I joined this site and am very interested in the theory behind this.

Anybody care to shed some light on this?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh, not sure about counting threads but before you took off the nut i've heard if you marked a line referencing the nut relative to the pinion you could get it back to the place where it was with the proper pinion preload.
    I don't think you'll find a torque spec for the pinion nut, because you tighten it to crush the crush sleeve and set the pinion preload.
    Everyone says replace the nut because if you change the ring and pinon and re-use the old pinion nut they tend to want to back off. Use loctite and stake the threads like with a chisel or something to ensure the nut from backing off.

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

To late for reference marks. So, how do I know this nut is on right? I found another 12 bolt I think I am going to pick up tomorrow. If I have to replace the rear I would rather go with the 6 lug 14sf but the other 12 will do as long as it is quiet.

I guess I'll make some more pry bars out of the axles. Everybody asks me where I got such big and heavy pry bars. I guess now I'll have a couple to give away /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

So what is one to do when they take off the yoke without thinking of how the nut came off? I would hate to think I need to replace a rear end because I don't know how to retighten the nut. Surely there is a GM recommended procedure for servicing all of their rear ends.

I'll be searching the web in the mean time...

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i'd like to know about this too. i have the same situation. just picked up a used 12 bolt and the pinion nut was loose. maybe P.O. was intending on replacing the seal and never got to it. regardess, it is loose and i can find no reference marks.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif the way they say to do it is, before removeing the nut, take the axles out, take a Inch pound torq wrench and see how many inch pounds are needed to move the nut, then count the threds and remove the nut, then do what you gotta do, then put the nut back on, count the threads, if you dont use a new nut use a little lock tight on it as long as the threds and yoke nut are clean, and tighten, and then measure the inch pounds needed to move it, then when you get it down, smile and sit back and admire you work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

the problem here is the nut was removed by someone else and i have no idea where is was to begine with. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

My problem as well except I'm the idiot who removed it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

well, i guess you're one up on me then /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif LOL!

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I too need some light shed on this type of situation. I just got my new 4.10's to replace the 3.42's in my front 10 bolt, and need to know all the need to knows about swaping them. I think that it should be a big deal for me to swap them(rather than a pro) because the Front end is rarely engaged and i only have 33" tires so i dought strength would be an issue.anyway , need to know the need to knows

10. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

did some searchin over on hotrodders and found this Looks like we'll have to take a gamble or rebuild. my 12 bolt was a 50 dollar replacement for my D.D. rig so i'm going to torque it a bit and locktite it and go for it. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

12. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the links /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif