Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt truck vs. 12 bolt car

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Apr 5, 2004.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

are truck 12 bolt rear ends the same as car 12 bolts? My blazer has a 12 bolt rear, and I have a chevelle with a 10 bolt. I'm wondering if, when I put a 14bolt in the blazer, can I use the 12 in the chevelle? I know I would have to have the spring and shock mounts changed, and have it narrowed...but do the axleshafts interchange, since I would need 5 lugs? thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

They arn't the same...the car 12bolts are stronger. That doesn't mean you couldn't swap it in...you just might need to mess with it some to make it all work out /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That suprises me that car 12's would be stronger. You'd think the companies would want to put the stronger part in the vehicle that needs it. Even though the Chevelle would put out a lot of torque through that axle...

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its the car 12b pinion stems that are bigger than the trucks' 12b pinion stems