Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt U joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Jul 27, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

What U joint do I need when putting a 79 12 bolt rear axle in place of the 10 bolt in my 86 blazer? I thought it was the same size, but it appears the u joint for the 12 bolt is slightly smaller. Is there a hybrid part that will have different size caps? Anyone know a part # by any chance? thanks

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm.....I always thought they were the same joint. If it means anything to ya.....I have a new u-joint in front of me for a 12 bolt. Here are same measurements-
    Cap diameter= 1.0625" {1 1/16")
    Cap to cap= 3.25" (3 1/4")

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is a u-joint for your application although I do not have the part number for you. Just tell the parts store what you are doing and they can get you the correct part.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Be careful though, I've had two 12 bolts in my truck and they took two different u-joints.

5. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replys. I did a search for old posts and found where someone had the napa part #. picked it up today and it is the right one this time /forums/images/icons/smile.gif