Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt w/4.56 and a detroit ..having problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by khotmer, May 21, 2003.

1. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

I know ther is a lot of slack with a detroit but it pops/grind while driving straight at low speads ...it is awful.....pops like every 1/4 turn of the whheel. H had the rear end up and ther is play in and out with the axel. Is that normal. i thought is should only be while turning the axel there would be play but i can pull the axel put about 3/8 of an inch (back and forth)

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If the housing or shaft is bent I believe it could cause a problem with the Detroit engaging incorrectly, though what you are describing sounds like something is broke and catching in the ring and pinion (you could have stripped a tooth or two off of the gears). If you haven't, pull the cover and look around inside. Some in and out play of the shaft is normal due to the c-clip design.

3. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

i pulled the cove and looked and everything looked brand new. The gear oil was good and there was no metal in it. Looked at the teeth and they looked good. I guess I will take it to a shop for their opinion....I would hate to have something go out on my way to work (20 miles of highway driving )