Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt weld anybody done this!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Jan 21, 2003.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

hey everybody,
    I'm getting my 14 bolt welding as we speak, however it will probably be a month before I get everything done and get the front regeared. In the meantime I thought I would weld my 12 bolt and have some fun. My question how do I do this. Can I take the carrier out and put it back in without resetting the backlash? Also do I need to take any special steps to weld it, since it is a posi rear end. Thanks for the help everybody.

If in doubt, gun it.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Uhhh...stoopid question...if it's already a posi, why do you want to weld it?? The tires already spin at the same time?? Welding a limited slip turns it into a "locked" rear end. If you have a posi, then it is already set up like that.

3. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

the reason being the posi doesn't work that well you have to punch the gas to get it to work. Posi isn't the same as a locker, Posi sucks. Anyway, back to the original question, has anybody done this before. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have done a few but all of them were open. On an open carrier you do not have to remove it from the rear end. I'm not sure what your posi looks like or if it would need to be removed so I don't know if this info will help you any but here goes. I weld the side and spider gears to the carrier and then weld them where they mesh together, rotate the carrier and do the other side the same way. Alot of people think this is overkill but I don't want to take any chances with the weld breaking loose. Give that sucker a weld, you will see alot of difference in your truck.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's not that easy to do with a posi because you don't have the side gears, but clutches instead, you can't weld the clutches.
    You could probably drill through and put some pins like the EZ locker has but I don't know how much these would hold.
    Just drive it as is untill you put the 14 bolt, and if you want a little better performance out of the posi, change the fluid and put some new gear oil specifically for posi rear ends.
    Your poor performance is probably due to use of non posi lube.

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

try adding more posi fluid from GM

7. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

probable a stupid "Q" but besides pulling the diff cover how can you tell if its a posi, limited slip or open.. I have 12 bolt and was wondering if it could be welded also... for a daily driver is this a good idea(welding) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

To know what you have:
    lift the rear
    put it in neutral
    rotate a tire forward while looking at the other side.
    If the other side turns the sme direction it's a posi
    if it turns the opposite direction it's open
    if it turns opposite direction and then suddenly catches and turns the same it's gov loc.
    Not sure if the gov loc existed with the 12 bolt but this way is for all kinds of axles.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I personnaly wouldn't drive a welded diff on the street except if it's a trail rig going to the trail.
    I have a rear locker and I had top drive it to work for a couple of weeks when my DD was down, and it is quircky, it kicks out coming out of a corner or chirps the tires on tight corners.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    try adding more posi fluid from GM

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I'll just throw this out there - adding more posi additive will make it slip more, not less. The additive is an agent that increases slippage in the clutches. I used to run only half a bottle of the additive with my powr-lok because it would keep it from slipping too soon. I experimaented with no additive up to 1.5 bottles of it, and less additive definately makes it hold tighter.

That being said, this is probably a gov-loc that is being discussed, so nothing is goign to keep it from needing to be spun a bit in order to get it to lock up. I've seen them welded by welding a block of steel to the carrier, then welding the side gear to the steel block as well. There are clutches between the side gears and the case so you can't just weld them directly. If I recall, there is a lever thingy in a gov-loc that is the reason that the thing needs to be sopun in order to get it to lock up. Perhaps there is a way to hold the lever in the locked position 100% of the time? </font color>

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I probably wouldn't weld my daily driver. If for no other reason you will be going thru alot of tires. I welded my 2WD truck several months ago, but it is my hot-rod and is only driven a few times a month. Since it has been welded I have only driven it in the rain once /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, and only once.

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Read writeup in garage on welding 14FF without ruining case. This would work on clutch type possy also.Would only ruin spiders if it didn't.The downside to 12B is if an axle breaks there's nothing to kep it in the housing,C-clip axles arent strong enough if you play hard.In mud should be ok.Been there Done that{Snaped axle in Tellico}.Came down trail 11 from top of Helicopter Pad on 3 wheels and log at Dixie Rin in 91. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN.

12. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I've had both in same truck.Would rather have welded any day{With 35spline axle}.It acts the same all time.Detroit is UNpredictable,Understeer oversteer swap is scary sometimes.Also harder on axles,it shock loads them worse by locking &amp; unlocking. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN

13. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know all about breaking axles in a 12 bolt. That's why I have a 14BFF now, and yep you guessed it, I welded the crap out of it too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif