Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt welded spider gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69k5blaz, Mar 28, 2003.

1. 69k5blaz

69k5blaz Registered Member

I have a 12 bolt rear on my 69 blaz and i want to weld the spider gears. I havent heard of any one doing this is the unit strong enough?

2. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I run with a guy down here with a welded 12 bolt and 38.5s in his Blazer and it’s held together for quite a while. Keep in mind the trails we run are mostly mud so without knowing what you point you’re truck at or how you treat the skinny pedal, I can’t say what kind of luck you can expect.

I still have the 12 bolt in my Jimmy and don’t have the confidence in it's strength of it to weld it up. The way I drive, I don’t think it make it through the first run.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I welded up the spiders in the 12 bolt in my 82. I ran a trailride the next weekend and they held up great. I was trying to climb a waterfall ledge and I had the blazer bouncing off the ground... After a while it ended up like this:

[​IMG]

It lasted all weekend and til now they have been fine!!!

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

:steals post: Great Pic! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A friend of mine just called me yesterday.. He welded up his 12 bolt last saturday. It blew out the ring and pinion and broke one axle in half and cracked the other one on Sunday. He wanted to know if I new anybody with a 14bff for sale.. He is extremly hard on his rig and it was at Hollisterhills..