Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt with Posi, good price?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Dec 13, 2000.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I can get a 12 bolt rearend for $450 with posi, or a 12 bolt without for $275 are these good prices? I want to make the drivetrain stonger before I lift it some more......

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

2. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

what gears are in it now and what size tires do you plan on running?

[​IMG]

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have 33's right now, but plan on running 35's in the future...I have no clue what gears are in the axles, but no matter what I'll change them!

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I can get a 12 bolt here for $150/exchange new bearings and seals. A posi will only apply torque to the wheel that is spinning and not to both. Limited slip for a stock set up would be a better choice if that's what the cheaper one is. If you have no worries about the gearing, try to at least match your front ratio for now and save the money for a locker and the upgrade for gears later. If you have 3.07 gears like mine, you'll have to do a carrier change for any thing above I believe 3.42 or pay more for the thicker ring gear (up to 3.73). Anything over that will have to have a carrier change. Or do like tRustyK5 did and make a Lincoln Locker out of it (Okay Rene, a Miller Locker).

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i only paid 200 4 my 12 bolt posi. look around you can get a better deal.
    WHEELS it is my understanding (i could be wrong) but a posi applies torque to both tires and a limited slip applies torque to both but will slip if the resistance is to much on one side

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

ok,,just to give you an idea i bought front and back rears from a friend for $250 for both,,,put in new axles $200,bearings$30,detroit locker$550,4.56 gears$140,install kit$40,, complete new functional re-built rear $1200 and a few scraped knuckles....needless to say this isn't cheap but i think you should be able to get a better deal...go try to get one from a bone yard...might only cost you $100-$150 for one that you can rebuild.......

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Is it a posi or a locker? Price doesn't sound too bad if it is a locker. But if it is a Gov-lok or similar unit, it would only be worth the $275 or less price.(unless it is a True-Trac)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Just to let you know,

I had my 12 bolt with brand new Lock Rite and TSM Disk brakes for sale a while back. My asking price was $400. This is the hot setup these days. You should be able to get a 12 bolt much cheaper than that. I would not pay $400 for a 14 bolt with Locker and 4.56 gears let alone a 12 bolt.

Shop around, I hate to see you pay too much. You should pay no more than $100 - $150 for a stock 12 bolt, then buy a locker like Detroit or Lock Rite.

<font color=red>Notice!</font color=red> My 12 bolt parts are no longer for sale at this time. When they do go for sale, I have people interested already.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Hey Wheels,

You said that a posi only puts pressure to the tire that is spinning. I was taught that that is a limited slip. A posi is both axles rotating the same amount at all times. That includes corners and results in the hopping when you turn to sharp with posi. My daughter keeps telling me I'm mloosing my mind, but if it's happening with my vehicals I might as well shot myself before I get put out to pasture.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A limited slip is a posi, and a posi is a limited slip.............

"Posi" or "posi-track", "positive tractions", etc., was simply a name that GM gave to their factory option limited slip years ago and the name stuck and is now used in general to describe some limited slip differentials.

There are basically three different type of differentials........open, limited slip, or a locker. The open will only power the tire with least amount of traction, so if one tire is on ice and the other on dry pavement, only the tire on the ice will have any torque to it. In the same situation, a limited slip will allow SOME of the torque to be applied (through a clutch pack or something similar) to the tire with traction. A true locker will ALWAYS provide equal amounts of torque to both tires.

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thanks 6.2, I was about to give the same speech about posi and LSD. They are one in the same.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

12. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Doh, I was reading through these and was wondering what the heck ya'll were talking about. Then I reread my post, what an idiot I was. New rule for me: No more late night typing and trying to think when I should be in bed. Now that I'm awake I apologize. I signed on Monday, didn't sign on Tuesday and when I signed on yesterday it was like a new site. I went through everything and then went to the Message Forum. When I typed I did refer to Posi trac and limited slip and yes they are the same. A posi will slip until the clutches engage or the centrifugal force pushes the fly weight out to tighten the bond between the axleshafts. Some slipage has to occur before the unit senses it and begins to work. An open diff will apply the torque to the spinning wheel. My mistake and I deserve to be chastized. Again, my mistake and thanks for catching me on it. This site is addictive.