Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt Yoke Problem, 74 Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gstuck3, Aug 14, 2005.

1. gstuck3

gstuck3 Registered Member

Can I change out the yoke in my 12 bolt without changing the pinion preload or anything else important? I just had my gears done, 3.07 to 4.10, and Detroit Locker rear / Truetrac front installed. :D The shop that did them told me when I picked up the Jimmy, "Your rear yoke has a broken off bolt that someone has tried to repair". :doah: I wish they had just called me so I could have had them to fix it. The bolt broke off , was drilled and tapped one size bigger (3/8-20) with about 1/2 in. of thread, and a short Allen bolt was installed. With it having straps not u-bolts this sucks. Is there a 12 bolt yoke that is u-bolt not straps? I guess I need to put a "beg" in the parts needed forum.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

that sucks..I just scrapped a 12 bolt too!

That sucks!--I had a junk 12 bolt posi I just junked a few weeks ago too! :doah: (it WAS a good rear end,but water got in it and rusted the gears to hell.)..I coulda sold it too ya cheep!(the yoke) :doah: :mad: :( ..---I have a front dana 44 off a 73 k10,is the 12 bolt the same yoke as a 10 bolt front one??.

I think Moroso makes yokes that use "U" bolts for 12 bolt axles,but I'm not sure if they will work on trucks..something I read makes me think they dont work on truck applications...someone here must know more than I do about them.... :crazy:

3. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I tried the moroso parts they don't work there designed for a car 12 bolt any lift on your truck and they hit the driveshaft. What you can do is drill all the holes out in the yoke and put bolts all the way thru and nuts on the back it is cheap and a good solution. Worked great for me until I went 1 ton.

4. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

If you end up needing another yoke, I have one; complete with straps and bolts. Let me know.
    Jimbo

5. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I don't know that it is the right way, but yes you can change yokes with out messing with the crush sleeve/pre load. Even after the crush sleeve has started to crush, they take a lot of torque to change anything up with your settings..

6. gstuck3

gstuck3 Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll try Backyardbuilt's Idea first. If I screw thet up I'll probably be needing that yoke Jimbo. Wish me luck. I'm none too bright you know.