Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt yoke to 10 bolt yoke on a 12 bolt axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Jun 15, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i have the yoke off my old 10 bolt axle, i have the seal the cr 19277 and i have the old 10 bolt style U-joint, now i want to switch yokes, now how do you retorque that nut? after replaceing the yoke with a 10 bolt yoke? is it any differnt then the 12 bolt yoke? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif, all help is appreciated. thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I have just asked a very similar question. This is hard info to come up with. From my searching it looks like there is no specific torque for it. It all depends on the backlash or something other internal setting in the diff.

Do a search on my name for all the answers I had or search for 12 bolt torque spec.

Good luck

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

BTW - If you read my threads and wonder why I pulled my yoke off. It was because I tried to put a 10 bolt yoke on a 12 bolt because the 10 bold (1987) yoke was bigger than the 12 bolt (1978). I changed my mind when it would not just fit on. I guess I had to replace the seal to make it fit but I decided to just get the smaller ujoint in the rear instead since I was going to get my drive line lengthened anyways.

Anyways, I am not sure if all you need to do is replace the seal to swap the yokes.

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I think you basically torque it to inch pounds. You tighten the nut until it takes 15-17(I think)inch pounds to constantly spin the yoke.
    I'm not positive on the specs but I'm sure someone can verify it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

ATTN ALL: Here are my experiances...
    I tried to do the same swap in the last few months here. I'm building a 12 bolt axle to replace the 10 bolt in my truck. I wanted to use the 10 bolt yoke like many in this swap. The seal number listed above is nothing more that a 10 bolt pinion seal from Napa. It will NOT fit in a 12 bolt housing. It is too small. I guess you could JB weld the hell out of it, but that's not my thing. I work at Autozone and spent some time searching through every pinion seal i had to find one that fit the 10 bolt yoke and the 12 bolt housing. I came up with one...but it would have to make some modification to work properly. And also, i didn't have a spare yoke to build the axle with so i abandoned the idea of the yoke swap. I got a 1350 aftermarket yoke from a friend but it didn't fit into the stock 12 bolt pinion seal. So.. i just went ahead and used the stock 12 bolt yoke and seal when i set my pinion gear up.
    However... If somebody finds a seal to work...this is how you would go about changing it. The bearing preload needs to be set by crushing the crush sleeve. You don't have to get a new one, just adjust the old one. Take off the old yoke, put in your conversion seal that nobody has found, place the yoke on and tighten down the nut. A good way to hold the yoke still while tightening is a large plumming wrench. A new pinion nut is recommended. Locktite is also a good idea. The carrier needs to be out as well because you need to measure the inch/lbs of just the pinion turning.(with some gear oil on it.) The measurment when done needs to be about 17-15 inch/lbs like stated in another post above. If this bearing preload is wrong...bad poo poo will occur.
    Oh, and make sure you are working with inch/lbs and NOT ft/lbs.
    Thank you, please come again.

Blake

6. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

I used a special u-joint when i swapped my 10 to a 12 on my 89. Works great