Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

okay so I own a 79 K10. it has the corprate 10 up front, and the corprate 12 out back. is it worth my time to rebuild a 14 bolt? or should I just build up the 12 bolt and enjoy the added ground clearance? I only plan on running, at max a 38" tire.

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

With 38s it will depend on your driving style. You could do it and just cary extra shafts in case since their is that chance you will brake them or you could build the 14 bolt and rest at ease. I would say that if you are not a make it or break it guy you could probably get many years out of a 12 bolt with 38s but if you like to be the show stopper on your trail rides then you probably need the 14 bolt. IMO 38" tires is the bubble, >36s no big deal on a 12 bolt, <40s require the 14bolt. In between is a gamble based on driving style IMO.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm lucky, put I haven't acquired a complete used 14bFF yet that needed to be rebuilt before I used it. :D

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Thats a good point, so far I have swapped in two and both only required brakes

5. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

okay so i can get a complete 14 bolt for free. yes I said free, i just have to remove it from the donor. that's it. so should i rebuild it? or at least refinish it? and also I am only ruunning stock 31" tires, and no lift. should iw ait to install the axle? I mean the gear reduction would kill me wouldn't it?

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If your still on 31's now , wait awhile , get your use out of the 12 bolt . 31's and 14 bolt = shaved 14 bolt with no grinder input . When ya do put it in sell me the shafts and yoke :D

7. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

out of my 12 bolt?

8. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Cold King I second the wait. I run 31s and a 4.10 14 bolt on my C10 tow rig. If the tire spins more than one rev. in the sand I am on the diff. For a towing rig its doable with a 700r4 but on a trail rig it would be hell. I have been hung just going up camp roads with the trailer trying to get to wheeling areas. Paul I have a set of 12 bolt shafts, Cclips, and spidders-sidegears-cross shaft. They were spares but I have no 12 bolts left. Make me an offer and their yours, plus shipping.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you are going to stick to the 38" max tire, and not go bigger, a 14SF might be a good option for you.

10. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

well it is free. it would be 100% cheaper to go full float compared to buying a SF axle. 38" tires is just what I see my self riding on while it is my daily driver. they will probably grow taller when/if I get another vehicle. would it be a good idea to get the 14FF and the just tinker with it till I get the equipment needed to make it work?

11. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

12. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

okay so should i just jump right up to a 38" tire? or should i go 35, then 38? I mean I don't want a huge heavy axle sitting round the basement for a year or two. but would that mean I should get heavier front axle?

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

How's it goin? I'm currently living in the T dot, but I'm from the Hammer and my shop is in Campden. If you can't PM then email talk to ya!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012