Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 Bolt ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2bhntn, Jan 16, 2004.

1. 2bhntn

2bhntn Registered Member

Howdy. I have a 90 FS Jimmy. A couple years ago I swapped in a 12bolt. I am now getting close to needing a rebuild or replacement. I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the 12 bolt ? I noticed that most every on this forum is running the 14 bolt FS. I like the MT Rims I currently have on the truck and don't really want to swap in an 8 lug. This truck is a daily driver. I do get in the mud with it some but nothing like most you fella's. Thanks in advance

Also is there a recommended rebuilder ? I saw one online not that long ago where you could basically pick what options you wanted and then spit out a price. My Hardrive crashed a few weeks ago and I lost that bookmark.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

If you really want a 14FF but don't want to convert to 8 lug, Check with this guy: Grady's Extreme OffRoad
    He has 8 to 6 lug hub conversions! His name is Grady. I have a built 12 bolt in my rig now but I am considering the 14 FF w/ conversion!
    Bill

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

another option,mabey,would be to get a 14 bolt,then buy the 8 to 6 lug adapters,temporarily.that way you could keep your rims for the time being,and still have a 14 bolt.just an idea YOURS TRULY HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. 2bhntn

2bhntn Registered Member

Thanks for the opinions on this. The wheel adaptors, anyone have any experience with these ? Are they safe ? Temp only ?

Do I need a 14bolt or will a 10 bolt do me just fine for my use ? The truck as 35inch x 12.50's and a 350. I get into some mudd occassionally but mostly just my daily driver.

So the 12bolts suck huh ? Damn

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

35's is about the max size you can put on a 10 bolt. anything bigger and you might end up braking axels. If at anytime you forsee going bigger, Then i would go 14ff and get it over with. There are plenty of people running 10 bolts with 35's. I did with another truck. The only problem I had, was it kept spitting out spyder gears. Sold the truck, otherwise I would have put an eaton posi in it. 10 bolts are "supposed" to be stronger than a 12 bolt. The pinion bearing on a 10 bolt is a little bigger. but they still go bad.