Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

@#^#$@# 12 bolts.. check this out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Hey guys... ever have that problem where a simple job becomes complex?
    me and Brian(Or2play) were going to replace the seals and bearings in his 12 bolt today. thing is we get the axle on stands and the dif cover off and the tires and drums off. go to remove the king-pin retaining bolt. ONLY HALF OF IT CAME OUT!!! it was sheared off inside the king pin. so we tried to drive it out(with no luck.) he is in the looks for a 14 bolt anyway, but the drivers side is BAD and causing vibrations BAD. if anyone has a 14 bolt in the south AZ area it would be nice.

anybody else had this problem?

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

They make a tool to remove the broken bolt. I had to buy one when I pulled the axle apart on my burb. Snap-On or Matco sells them

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen to my 12B. I took off the bearing cap to get clearance to drill a hole in it then used a EZ-out to remove the rest of the cross pin retaining bolt. This is a VERY COMMON problem w/ 12 bolts. When I was trying to get a set of spider gears from the J/Y I had to open up 3 diffs befor I found one where the bolt came out in one piece! I also found out that GM used a different bolt in my axle and that they don't stock it. I ended up getting it from a tranny shop for $10 (about double what it should cost but it was his last one).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

this one was broken off so far down an EZ out would not have worked. otherwise i would have tried it.
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html