Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 full float kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Sep 22, 2000.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

Dose anyone know anything about the ORD 12bolt full float kit? I'm looking to upgrade my axels and was woundering if anybody had this or knows anything about it.

From the Grave to eat the Jeeps

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The best way to go is to "full float" that 12 bolt out from under your truck and slam in a 14 bolt SF 6 lugger. It'll be cheaper and if/when you snap an axleshaft, $90 or so will getcha a new one. Not so with a custom FF shaft! Oh yeah, and the SF 14 bolt is already a much stronger shaft at 1 3/8" x 33 splines!!!

ken

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Good luck finding a 6lug 14boltSF.I look for one a while back when I blew out my 12bolt.Found ONE!!$800 wrong gears(news gears and set up at least$400 need lock $500.Also need to move spring perches and shock mounts.Do this yourself or pay someone More money!.Total Around $2000.Warn FF kit $800.Dynatrac Dana 60 6lug one ton axle with locker $2700.Easy choice.Also the SF is a Semi Floater.C clips hold the shaft in!!!Brady

4. JunkYardCrawler

i have a 14 bolt full floater sitting around. i was going to put that in but i would lose alot of clearance. i want strangth and clearnce. i'm only going to run 35's.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Axles are a big compromise. The strength comes from the size of the parts more than the material or design. thats why a 14 ff is so strong, it has a 10.5" ring gear, huge housing, huge tubes, huge shafts and huge everything else too. The downside is the weight and massive clearence loss. If your only running 35s, a set off alloy shafts with bigger bearings, a full-case locker and a quality ring & pinion set should be fine as long as your easy on the gas pedal (which I'm not, theres a 14 sitting in my garage for this reason). The green ORD Jimmy runs a 12 with 37x12.5s and its been over Moab and a ton of other places. The Warn kit will make the 12 less likely to break axles, but its expensive and makes the R&P the weak pion. Everytime you upgrade a part of the drivetrain, you make another part the weak link. Its all relative to your driving style and budget.
    </font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

6. JunkYardCrawler

is the 14 bolt FF strtong enough to take a hit from a rock directly? and to go to bigger tires i would need to cut out alot of finders to fit them with only 5inches of lift.Wich i have no problem doing.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not that I've ever done it on purpose but yeah the 14 bolt will take a 'direct' hit and laugh it off.[​IMG]I've done it at least 3 times. I'm using 35" MT's with the 14 bolt FF, and ground clearance is diminished but I like the bulletproof strength. Besides I can always go bigger in the tire department![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I run the full flooter kit from ORD. Till I went to it I was trashing the 12 bolt ever time I did hard wheeling! I did not want to go to the 14 bolts as I did not want to change to 8 lug tires and the late model 6 bolt ver is hard to find Plus I would have to get the rear drive shaft changed yet one more time. I installed the flooter kit in an afternoon useing saw-all and coman shop tool. I did get the center holes trun the day before.
    After putting in the flooter I find that the blazer drove a bit better amd the rear hub run much cooled almost cold! You have the option of running the rear wheel bearing wet with rear end oil or packed with grese I ran them wet.

If i had it to do all over and was running a stock 12 bolt I would still beef the 12 and add the flooter kit and disc. And not go to the 14 I like the clearance of the 12 bolt and after the monye is counted up the 12 bolt is still cheaper.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken