Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 inch Glass-packs ........oh,yea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, May 7, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got the exhaust done from the collectors on back. Man that sounds sweet, almost as good as straight pipes!

Kinda cobbled together with clamps. Take it by a muffler shop and have some nice mandrel bent installed when we get caught up on bills a bit.

Love the winding down sound when ya drop it in low at about 40 mph!:woot: :woot: :woot:

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

nice eh? what brand are they? ive got a set of dynomax bullet mufflers. dont meet sound requirements so they arent exactly street legal :D

3. dontoe

J.C. Whitney specials!

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Someone's havin fun!

I have been watching out my window--someone must have bought themselves a 57 Chevy Nomad wagon nearby--he's been going up and down the street in 2nd gear,goosing it and letting off--sounds like a 4 speed with headers and glass packs like your describing--VREOOMMM----FFRRAAAPPPEEE!!!--VRROOOMMM---FFFRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPP!!--music to my ears!--car looks nice too,I'm gonna have to see who owns it--maybe he will want to buy my 400 small block to throw in it someday!.. :D

Its getting hard to find "cherry bombs" around here anymore,autozone and pep boys had garbage cans full of them in years past,but are nowhere to be seen in their stores now,they only carry the "turbo" mufflers...I liked the glasspacks,and a similar baffled muffler Walker used to sell called a "Royal Scot" muffler--it looked exactly like a glasspack,but they had baffles--I'd get 5 or more years out of both glasspacks and the Royal Scot's before they rotted off--a turbo muffler lasts 2 years if your lucky!--I bet the cops in my area snuffed out the glasspack sales--people probably bitched when they got pulled over,saying they should not be selling them if they are illegal--so I bet the stores stopped selling them(or maybe they just hid them behind the counter!--I haven't asked !)... :crazy:

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

If there are any Farm Kings in your area (probaly not) they sell them. Big selection at the one here.

6. dontoe

I was just flippin' thru the J.C. Whitney catalog, looking at the 2.25 Stainless stuff. They still sell a nice selection of different bore and case diameters of glass-packs there. The ones I got there a few years ago have thick cases. I ran 'em about two years until I had to put on "cats" and they still look almost new.

Just got back from Linconton (maybe 25 miles away) and oh they sound so sweet at 70 mph!!!

Wow, Summit carries a nice selection too.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Ugh, I hate glasspacks/cherry bombs. Unquestionably the most obnoxious sounding mufler I have ever heard, and my boss put them on every one of our work trucks because they are cheap. Nothing like compression braking down a mountain and hearing poppoppop crackle poppoppop. First thing I'm doing when I get the business is cut every one of those mutherf987ng things off.

8. dontoe

That's what makes life interesting my friend. I really don't like "turbo" mufflers like Flow master etc...........

If everyone ran glass-packs I would probably run turbos though just to be different.

9. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I have not seen the old garbage can o cherry bombs in a long time. Had some on my '67 Mustang Fastback (RIP). They aren't PC anymore I guess. They scare too many owls...

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

You can buy em here at surplus city by the barrel for $5-$10 each.