Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12" lift & front driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 425 Xpedition, Aug 28, 2002.

1. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

12\" lift & front driveshaft

I was wondering what everybody else is doing about the front driveshaft with the 12" lift? I am putting 44's and 12" springs on my truck. The driveshaft is hating life right now with the 10" springs, do not think it is gonna take it.

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: 12\" lift & front driveshaft

I went to Arizona Drivelines for mine and I do not recommend them at all. They do not stand behind thier stuff and they will say whatever to get out of thier warrenty. I say this from experience.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Almost evey truck I see with 44"s and that much lift don't have a front shaft /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ive heard alot of good about them...what exactly happened to u. and i plan on buyin my rear CV from em soon

NITRO

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I spent about $900 on them. Real nice drivelines. I dont knock the quality at all. He told me that if I ever gernaded a rear CVC for the first year he would fix with no problem. I geranded one on the rocks after about three months. I called him and told him and he said send it in. I did and he fixed and sent it back. And billed my credit card that he still had on file like $250. I call and said WTF? He claimed that I had bottomed out the driveshaft and that it was not his fault. I pointed out that when I ordered them, all he wanted was the total rested length between the two yokes and what lift I was running and he could set it all up and that there is 6" of spline showing when it was at rest. No way was it going to bottom out. He then said that the driveline had a big dent in it and the force of that broke the shaft. I said well you didnt change the shaft and there is no dent in it. then he said that I wasnt clear on the situation and what was he supposed to do? I hung up and had my credit card cancel the charge. The guy that I run with got a front driveline from him and it was too long. The guy said to send it back and he would shorten it for just shipping. He charged him $220 just to shorten it and shipping. He also had to cancel the credit card charge.

I will say that after all that. I have beaten them to death and have only had to change one U-joint. I am more careful in the rocks though.

7. 425 Xpedition

Well personally I cannot stand a big truck with no front driveshaft. Do not want to look like a poser with a big useless truck. Does anybody know how much Jessie might charge for the front shaft? Trying to figure out how much more I gotta spend on this thing.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I wans't saying you were a poser...just glad to see you are gonna fix your the problem the right way... Got any pics of your rig? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. 425 Xpedition

No problem, I did not take it that way. I am like you, I see alot of trucks running without front shafts. Why bother? I do not use my truck alot, but would like to know if I needed four wheel drive it would work. Will just have to keep trying to get a hold of Jessie and see what he tells me. Sorry no pictures yet.

10. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

your options are an expensive driveline or rolling the front diff up 20 degree's - Jess /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have an '81 Crew Cab that Ive been debating whether or not to put a 12" lift and 44" tires under. It has an SM465 4spd and 205, and the front driveline is already at an bad angle with the 6" lift (gone through 2 CV joints this year).

I have a '73 International parts truck that I'm now considering pulling the divorced 205 out of and mounting in the Crew cab, along with a 2wd SM465 that I have. Anyone think this is a possible solution? I figure the modifications to make that setup work would be easier and cheaper.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

curious how you can run a driveline without rolling the dif up 20degs

I see your CV should handle the TC end but the dif end will be at an extreme angle.

could you spell out your recommendations here?

I have 10" springs and the dif turned, the springs are sick stiff so range of motion isnt that high
    no droop but have had the inner fenders ripped out by the tire while twisted up
    I have had only one driveline failure and that was the 1310CV exploding due to extreme abuse
    40 deg below zero, in REV, 4 lo, chains on, tied to a loaded cummins dodge that was in the ditch, hopping violently with repeated merciless attempts

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have 10" lift with a 4spd and D60 so my front drivehaft is pretty steep. I swapped in the fat 32 spline front output with a 1350 yoke on my 205, now I run a single 1350 joint on both ends of the front shaft and have had no problems. I also do not have any pinion angle mods or t-case drop.

My set up has been like this for years with no problems. I do not have any u-joint breakage problems. I'm not a violent 4 wheeler but I by no means baby it either.

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

that is a very possible soloution. and that is what i would do to be honest. i am going to run a divorced T case in my lazer i think. well divorced doubler..
    grant

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well my opinion is go with a dana60 then have the rear pitched by grinding off the knuckles then re-welding them. There is a guy here in south NJ that does it for $100-$150 I think.. I am gonna get him to do it to my dana 44. I have 14" front leafs and have my t-case lowered 2" and grinded out my yokes.... I AM VERY STEEP!!!! Check out this shot of my front... hard to see driveshaft.. but look to the left of passenger side leaf...
    I am only running 40"s and need to lower to 38's to get through nj inspection as that is the tallest tire allowed now. Also the other thing is I can only be 33" to bottom of door... so gotta come down some too.... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif