Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12" lift questions.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Mar 8, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i got a 84 chevy shortbox with gobs of lift on it and i am going to be getting rid of all the custom drop hangers and hokie stuff and go with 8" rear springs and 4" blocks out back and 12" springs up front, i currently have about 14-15" of lift on it and 39.5 boggers can anyone with real life experience tell me what i should be expecting for driveline angles? i know they are gonna be ridiculous, but i just want it to be streetable, and the occaisonal mud bog, i have a 44/14bolt and a 465/208 combo, are there any tricks or advice anyone has? and no i wont go with smaller springs and i dont care how it rides, that dont bother me none, Thanks in advance

2. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Talk to Jess at High Angle Drivelines. He will build the best driveshafts for that much lift. You get what you payed for.

3. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I'm daily driving my truck on 12" springs. Although its a burb. so I got the length your setup. You might need to cut off your perches and turn your axle up pretty high. The other thing you can do is drop the t-case mount down. I know either one of those is probably not the best way but I've seen a guys blazer around town and its on 12" springs and it has a normal driveaxle in it. Its do-able but it just depends how you wanna accomplish it.

4. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

12 inch lift

wanna talk about hokie ? those 12 inch lift springs are hokie !!! i put a set on my 57 stepside and they are designed so poorly that my eyes are pretty much in constant contact with my frame ,longer shackles would make it even worse the angle of the shackle would be unusable im gonna pull it all out and use 52s with some drop hangers (strong ones not crap ) the rear is gonna get 63s i wouldnt even waste my time those springsthey were designed in the seventies to hold the truck over 44s could be my truck is to light but i hate them i did drop some spacers in between my transfer case crossmember and re welded the pads to set a real angle

5. bigbadchev84

well it looks like i got a 12" complete lift kit springs, steering, brakes, shocks, u-bolts for $500 availible to me, but i already have everything i need except the front springs, so that seems a bit much to me, i guess i can try to find someone to buy my 8" springs, but is it posible to use the stock driveline for now? i have had it lengthened already so that should be ok,

6. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I had a 91 blazer with the 12" lift. The rear was rotated up. I could not get rid of the vibration. I wished I would have let HAD build the d/s. I kept breaking the transmission input shaft. Even a hardened input shaft from Art Carr:eek1:

7. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

That doesn't sound like you're getting rid of the "hokie stuff", it sounds like you're adding it :haha:

8. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

If a shackle flip was used instead of blocks, would that help from having to cut the perches and rotate?
    I am going to be installing a 12" lift soon and don't want to have to cut/rotate/weld if I don't have to.

9. bigbadchev84

this is what i am dealing with now, not very practical at all unless you count it as a lawn ornament, i know the majority would say 12" springs is not practical but i just want something huge to drave around and to hit the local mud bogs

k 025.jpg

k 023.jpg

k 051.jpg

k 022.jpg

10. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

12" Springs are do able for a daily driver but it's getting all the other parts to work, I've got a Suburban on 12" front springs, 6" rear, 4" shackle flip & 1" zero rate blocks w/ 1" push to recenter the rear axle, the front axle has a 7 degree shims with a 1" push also pushing the front axle forward for more tire clearance and rolling it 7 degree's for a better pinion angle. The driveshafts are where you can't cut corners, I have a 1410 size front 80 degree cv w/ 1410 at the front D60 as well, no binding of any sort, the rear is a 1350 series w/ 1350 at the 14-bolt, because it's on a suburban the rear is easy but still needs a cv, both my driveshaft came from Jess at Highangle Driveline, not cheap by any means but you get what you pay for. On 44" boggers my suburban cadillac's down the road, it can be done but you've got to spend the bucks.... I've built several trucks that big and if you need any help email me at offroad@cableone.net

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well i think that looks pretty sweet. angles are pretty bad. call jesse at HAD, he'll hook you up