Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12" lift steering prob

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by extremeblazer, Dec 10, 2000.

1. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

12\" lift steering prob

Just installed a 12"lift and the truck will not steer to the left. The steering corection consist of a 2" drop pitman arm, 4" drop drag link, 4" raised steering arm and a 3" steering block this just levels everything out. The truck turns to the right all the way but only moves a few degrees to the left. The truck does start to turn and then the frame lifts up and the shackles move forward to allow the springs to move. When the front tires are off the ground the truck turns fully from lock to lock, so nothing seems to be binding up that would force the body to move instead of the wheels. So whats wrong?

2. Re: 12\" lift steering prob

I have a 12" lift and have the same steering correction stuff you do, but I took the 3" block out(they are too dangerous) I sheared 2 bolts off and stripped the threads off the 3rd. Thank God I wasn't on the highway. My 88 Burb steers pretty good both ways, but always is worse to the left due to the drag link having to push which will make it stand up and lose some of its range of motion. Have someone turn the wheel both ways while you watch everything and maybe you can see what is wrong. It sounds like something is broken or loose. Realize you will lose alot of your steering with a 12" lift anyways.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Re: 12\" lift steering prob

<font color=purple>12 " lift and steering problems ? I don't beleive it ! Just kidding. I had the same problem with a truck I once owned with a 12 " suspension lift in it, Big Burb has the right idea here, check everything out while someone is turning the wheel. Are you sure you didn't tighten everything while it was still up in the air ? If so, then you're binding somewhere. Everything should be kept somewhat loose until it is on the ground before the final tightening just to make sure this doesn't happen. Good luck.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Re: 12\" lift steering prob

Anything over 8" of lift and ya gotta crossover steer it...just no two ways around it!! When I did the crossover on my 12" lifted Sub it was AMAZING the difference. The turning circle is now cut in half with the crossover, it turns SO MUCH tighter and is SO MUCH safer than the stock steering setup with all those stupid dangerous corrections!!! When you play big (12"), ya gotta have crossover!!!

ken