Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12" lift

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by ihatefords, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ihatefords

ihatefords Registered Member

12\" lift

I need to know what will I have to do once I purchase a 12" lift and how this lift is going to affect my ride. I own a 1981 GMC sierra grande and I have to outdo the kids in town with a 12" lift.

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: 12\" lift

That is getting real tall. Do you run a lot of mud, deep water etc. that you need that much lift? I would suggest that you really think about less lift and cut the fenders to gain some room for big tires. That said I don't know what you will nee for a front spring, in teh rear you could use a 4" shackle flip and an 8" spring or a six inch spring with a 2" block might work better because your pinion angle is going to be ralley bad.

With that much lift the ride is typically harsh to say the least and many problems start coming up with driveshaft angles, lengths, etc.

Once agian I would look long and hard at the use for the truck if it were me.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Longer brake lines, steering corrections, driveline modifications, shocks, u bolts. It will ride a bit stiffer. What brand of springs are you going to run?

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

try posting something like this in the garage where it'll get more responses.

5. ihatefords

ihatefords Registered Member

I was thinking about running a superlift swamprunner kit 12" lift springs. I also will be running a 3" body lift which is already on the truck. As of now I have a 2 1/2" Rancho lift and the body lift and am running 35's.

6. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have the 12" springs + 1" ord zero rate up front with 6" skyjacker springs 1" zero rate + 4" ord shackle flip in the rear. I also have 3" body lift & bushwacker cut-out flares.
    I'm running 44" boggers. The /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif does not ride bad because of the long wheel base. You should spend the extra $ on crossover steering & hydro assist along with 1 ton axles if you want to do it right the first time. Also you will be needing a lot more gearing.