Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12" lift???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berserker, Jun 11, 2006.

1. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

i am wanting to go with a 12" susp., 3" body, 44's with a dana 60 front 14ff rear on my 86 k5. what mods would i need to do? steering? driveshaft angle?, knuckles?, brake lines?, and whatever else i missed?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will ned to modify anything and everything that is below or even with the frame....

3. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

that would be the good news but do you or anyone know what i would have to do as far as degreeing every thing , specs ,or maybe a website thanks adam.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That much lift i really only good for straight mud running and most here run less lift and just cut the fenders to fit 44's.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

your in michigan.. your best bet is to go to.. .wegotmud.com and join up.. all mich guys there... hell with cars on tractor tires.... we got guys on tractors here too....

12" susp and 3" body... minor trimming will fit 44's

divorced t-case will help get angles on shafts better...

xover steering is required with this much lift

really not much else.... you may go through alot of ujoints if you dont do the divorced case...

or lower the t-case some..

here is my truck with 12" susp lift, 3" body....40" hawgs... was going with rockwells and 53's on the road.. but nj changed their lift laws.... :doah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

look really hard... there is a d44 under there and a front shaft.. so when people say it isnt doable.... bull....

alot of guys here do the rubicon... so yeah they can remove their inner fenders and cut away..... me personally.. think I found a way to go back up.... I will go back up but not with 53's.... 44's yes... boggers.. but that aint gonna happen for a few more years... crew cab swap first... :wink1:

the other solution not going divorced case is to simply have the axles turned.... guys use shims but that just leads to bad steering components... you can have the welds at the knuckles ground off... entire axle tubes and pumpkin rotated then the knuckles re-welded... a guy around here charges $100 to do it...

6. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

well i was also considering 3" body and may be a 6" or 8" inch lift with 38.5-40 inch tires? would an 8" inch require alot of attention:confused:

7. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

so its pretty much a knuckle turning for the major issue what about f driveshaft?

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

knuckle turn will fix the front shaft issue....
    you can also grind the tabs on the front shaft in the cv where it binds....

8" susp lift will require a new front shaft over stock......I still have my factory rear 2 piece shaft :haha: