Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 or 24 volts

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2L Jimmy, Nov 3, 2002.

1. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi All.

I have a stupid question... I just bought my first multimeter and I tested the battery on the driverside and it read 26.5 volts and then I checked inside the truck and tested the lighter socket and it read the same . Do I have a 24 volt system or a 12 volt and I am just checking wrong.
    I dont have much experience with electrical so I just want to be sure. Thanks in advance
    Mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

how many batteries do you have? Evan the military trucks that have a 24 V system have two batteries to make the system 24 V... I would be very surprised if you have a 24V system on a civilian truck! Someone might of hooked up the dual batteries wrong! But it does sound like you have 24 V coming from somewhere! Check your starter and see if it says 12-24 V for it!

3. 6.2L Jimmy

I have 2 batteries in the truck. The batteries have been on this way for at least 26 months with no problems at all. I also ran a wire direct from the driver side battery and it too says 26 volts. Thanks
    Mike

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Was your truck a military truck at one time?

In order for you to have 24 + volts, the batteries must be wired in series, that is the positive of one battery going in to the negative post of the other battery.

All civilian diesels with more than one battery are wired in parallel, that is positive to positive.

I would think that if you wired up the batteries in series by mistake that you would have had some serious electrical problems.

Casey

5. 6.2L Jimmy

No the truck was never a military vehicle it is an SLE.I also forgot to mention that the volts gauge is for 12 volts so I am quite puzzled by yhis. Like I sais I bought it this way and it has been almost 2.5 years it is running this way. I dont know whaty to do about this. Thanks
    Mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 6.2L Jimmy

Dang it!

I feel like an idiot. Like I mentioned on my first post that this was my first multimeter, and I had the settings wrong on the meter.Leave it to me (multimeter virgin) to screw it up.anyways no harm done and I learned something too boot. I dont really know my electrical symbols all that well and there were 2 with V on the meter and I didnt realize it at the time. Thanks again for the as usual quick replies. Man I love this site.( addicted)
    Mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif