Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 pointed devils...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm removing my driveshafts (HAD) so I can pull my tcase and tranny. I go to remove on of the front shaft flange bolts (1/2", 12 point head) and the wrench slips. I say to myself "oh siiiat".... try a different wrench, it holds longer, but slips also. Both are cheapo harbor freight type wrenches but I'm getting kinda worried. Any tips on getting those bastards out? am I gonna need a more $pendy 12 point wrench or is there a good trick I can try? The head of the bolt doesn't seem stripped... its not like I've wrenched on them very much. :confused:

j

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

12mm 12 point. :)

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

:wink1: guess its time to get wrenchin! :D dude, atleast get a little bit better set of wrenches. The price is the only thing that sucks against tools, thats why I own mostly craftsman. Nothing compared to snap on or matcos but atleast their decent...the life time warrnaty rules too. Dont mean to turn this into a tool topic but I just bought a bitchin stainless steel, ball bearing drawer roll away that actually fits all my tools.

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

12pt 12mm. Orginal app for those joints is a ford superduty front driveshaft. It's metric.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I think I hear an echo...

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think I hear an echo...

:D :D

Rene

7. jekbrown

son of a....

metric licks. :grin: thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll go to Sears and buy just a single 12mm wrench. I guess my tools weren't crap... just 0.7mm to big... :grin: harbor freight forever!!!! :thumb:

j

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The thing with Sears is the get you when just buying one. Usually 2 wrenches (or 2 sockets or 2 what evers) is as much as buying the set. Last time I went in to buy a missing socket I ened up with another set for $5 more.

9. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Thats why my tools keep growing.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

No... your tools are still crap. :D

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Except for impact sockets. 1 socket: $6.99; socket set: $125.00 :eek1:

12. jekbrown

lol!! :grin:

nothing wrong with cheap tools... for most applications. When it comes to hand tools, honestly, the only time I really care/need them to be nice high quality stuff is with a torque wrench and a ratchet. I've never broke a socket or an open-end... even when using 4' of cheater bar etc etc. Don't see a point in spending a buttload of ca$h on something that I ain't gonna break the cheap HF one. ;) My set of deep impact sockets from HF cost me like $15. The material is very thick, I've never had a single problem with them... and they just work. A $100 set from Craftsman wouldn't make me any happier...just poorer. :grin:

j

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah... I bought a set of deep impact sockets from HF back in '94. I think the only ones I have left that aren't broken are 10-12mm, 3/8, 7/16 and 1". I broke the 13mm last weekend and the rest (SAE and metric) have gone by the way-side over the years, usually at the worse possible moment. Broke two of them disassembling my '80 K10.

I also broke the closed end right off of a wrench one time when I was trying to take a caliper bracket bolt off a Toyota. Didn't break the ring, broke the center section. The ring end of the wrench was still on the bolt.

I won't buy anything cheaper than Craftsman any more.

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I have broken many a sockets too, few impacts too. Never got a wrench to do that though, thats pretty good stuff to break it in the middle. I have broken a wrench only on the ring part. One thing that is good about harbor freight is that they are pretty good with tool returns. They dont give ya any hassles, my friend has a few of their pnuematic tools, die grinders, etc... and he has had a 2 go out. And they had no problem returning them. Same with the hand tools, that makes it worth it to get some things from HF.

15. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'd rather have a tool that I don't have to return constantly. My time is worth more than the few extra dollars for the tool.

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I have found those bolts in ford van driveshafts too. They are a bitch to find if you need a new one, I've collected a few spares from the junkyard just in case I needum.

17. jekbrown

went to HF today, not 3 metric ratcheting closed-end wrenches for $7. I've had a SAE set of the same wrenches for years, no problems. I dunno how you guys brake so many tools. Its not like I don't abuse mine. When a bolt won't come off, my standard tactic is to put a 4' cheater on the end and beat the living snot out of it with a BFE and/or put a floor jack on the cheater and crank away. Short of the use of explosives, I can't think of a way to abuse them any more than I am. lol!

j

18. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Im uber buff man! And my more than normal strength allows me to brake tools on with a simple grunt. :haha:

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

problem with cheap wrenches is the open ends. I know even Craftsmen wrenchs you can watch the open end spread open when you apply a lot of force to them. Cheap cheap wrenchs, I utterly hate and only use if it is ALL there is. I've often found that I think I have the wrong size wrench for a job, go to get another, and can't for the life of me find the right size wrench, grab a craftsman wrench in the same size I was originally trying, sure enough it was just the cheap wrench was JUST slighty not made right.

20. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

*sigh*

I feel like such a sellout.

I've been calling around to get prices on steel for replacing my floor pans and making my rocker knockers. Every place I call wants to charge me an arm and a leg to cut it into 6-ft lengths. Two 6' pieces (tube, angle, whatever) will cost me the same as one 24' piece after they add the cutting charges. For the stuff I wanted, they were going to charge me $45 to cut it up. So I figure, what the hey... I'll buy a saw and cut it up myself. I start checking prices on portable band saws and they're crazy expensive. The cheapest one I can find is $225. Depot, Lowes, Sears, Grainger... everybody is around $300 for the damn saw.

Then I rember jekbrown.

And I remember my solemn oath to never buy from Harbor Freight again.

And I check the web site.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47840

Damn. :(

And when you add it to your cart, the price drops another $10.

Damn. Damn. :doah:

I feel like the people of South Park when the Wall-Mart moved in. :1zhelp:

Yeah... I bought it. The local store had 4 in stock.
    The 2-year free replacement warranty was another $10 and the 3-pack of blades was on sale for $17.99. Out the door for exactly $90.

Damn you Harbor Freight. Damn you to hell. :mad1:

This thing had better not suck or I will be severely pissed off.