Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12" Superlift Questions... RE: Suburban's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joey90, Dec 12, 2003.

1. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

12\" Superlift Questions... RE: Suburban\'s

Hey guys. I just picked up a clean 1990 Burb with intentions of makin it my muddin rig. I love my Tacoma but it just doesn't have enough power /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think I've got a D60 for the front and I plan on swapping that in when I can afford to build it properly (locked, geared, 35 spline). I'd also like to run 44's. I've had my eye on these 12" Superlift kits that supposedly come with everything you need, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Is a 12" lift gonna be enough to run 44's or will I have to trim? I've also though about some of those Bushwacker cut out fender flares but I'd like to see pics first, what do you guys think of those?

I'm having a hard time finding pics of lifted Suburban's, can you guys post some here?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: 12\" Superlift Questions... RE: Suburban\'s

well ill tell ya now..12" is PLENTY, more than plenty for 44"s and mud..12" springs are going to be really stiff..

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Photo courtesy of BigBurb.

Here's a good start for more lifted 'burb pics: clicky

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hes not gonna be able to view members rides, hes blue..

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Even if they're linked in the post. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

Hey I've seen that Burb on the net before! that thing is badass, exactly what I wanna build.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do plenty of research before you dive in. There's WAY more to lifting a rig 12 inches than slapping on some springs and a steering arm. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You'll be looking at major driveshaft modifications, both to deal with the extra length required and to handle the severe operating angles. That alone can add major bucks to the cost of the lift. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You can also get into stuff like rotating axle housings to get rid of driveshaft vibrations. It can get expensive fast.

I'd rather go with maybe 6 inches of lift and do some major surgery to the fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 sub with 8" suoerlift, 3" body lift & bushwacker cutouts. It will clear 39.5 tsl but offroading they will rub. I plan on going to 12" superlift fronts & shackle flip the rear to clear 42 or 44's.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You need 12" of lift to clear 44's if you don't wan't to cut the fenders. You may even need to trim a little with only 12". A friend of mine had an 87' blazer and it took him 17" of lift to get the 44" boggers out of the fenders.
    Be carefull with getting that tall though. Many people on here will tell you to go with 6" or so with 44's and basically remove the fenders, thats cool for trail stuff but I would go a little taller.
    Maybe mudjunkie will jump in, he's running 12" superlift springs on 44's.

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will still need to trim the fenders with 12" lift,I had 12"+3" body lift and they would still rub. I took the 3"body lift off so it will fit into my Garage. Now trimming is on the to do list this winter.Also you will want to do the shackle flip on the rear,and go with crossover steering,The superlift 12" kit is a real nice kit with detailed instructions.You will also have to buy longer brake hoses for the front brakes,The rear comes with the kit,Just remember,Like Confedneck Said,It will ride like Sh!t. Do not have your girl play the Skin"Flute while you are driving offroad,You might not go home with somthing you left the house with. Good luck on building your rig and would be glad to answer any questions you have.Burbs look so cool lifted with 44"swampers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of a friend's Blazer w/12" super lift and 3" body lift w/44". Looks cool, but as you can see, any flex and it will eat the fenders, but he drove it like this for quite some time.
    [​IMG]

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    You will still need to trim the fenders with 12" lift,I had 12"+3" body lift and they would still rub.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup, it takes a lot of lift to clear 44's despite what some people say.... When major hacking isn't a consideration.

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

gimme 4 weeks, and you'll see what kind of fender removal will be necessary for 44" to fit with a 10" superlit. actually, they will mount now, but driving and bouncing they'll kind of self trim like this /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You will still need to trim the fenders with 12" lift,I had 12"+3" body lift and they would still rub.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup, it takes a lot of lift to clear 44's despite what some people say.... When major hacking isn't a consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]Bobby,You are Blue" What happened? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bobby,You are Blue" What happened? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bobby,You are Blue" What happened? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. mudjunkie 82

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifPad

18. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do not have your girl play the Skin"Flute while you are driving offroad,You might not go home with somthing you left the house with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully not the voice of experience speaking. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do not have your girl play the Skin"Flute while you are driving offroad,You might not go home with somthing you left the house with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully not the voice of experience speaking. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Almost /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Bobby,You are Blue" What happened? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    membership ran out. The budget is real tight right now for christmas, I'll join a full year again after the first of the year.