Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12" suspension ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr7dblzero, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Mr7dblzero

Mr7dblzero Registered Member

12\" suspension ?

What is a 12" lift is it a 8" spring with a 4" block? The reason I ask is that I got a 8" suspension lift with 38" TSL and everytime I go riding in the Mud or Sand my tires get cut by the fender's. I don't want to cut my fenders and I don't want to use a body lift. Would I have to buy a 12" lift with shocks and drag link and steering arm? If so does anyone wanna buy a 3month old 8" superlift with everything?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re: 12\" suspension ?

Blocks in the rear are "OK". I have a 6in. in the rear and may do away w/ it in the future. Blocks in the front are deadly. Bottom line. Besides 12in springs dont give the best ride and Blazers have a short wheelbase to begin w/, and drive shaft angles and steering become a nitemare.

Dont sell a body lift short. I also have one of them. LOL! Some will say a body lift is bad for some reason. In 31 yrs and 13 of them a body man I havent seen any ill effects of a body lift. Only thing is that the frame is more visible. IMO.

At that height (8") you should seriously consider a crossover steering set up.

You could still use SOME of what you have, do a shackle flip in the rear and you gain 4in. (theres your 12 for the rear), and get new front springs and shocks all around, and do what you have to w/ the steering.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: 12\" suspension ?

pure is right. weather or not you have blocks and a add a leaf in the rear, removing the blocks and installing a shackle flip is a great idea. or leaving the blocks and add a leaf and still installing it.
    a body lift in my eyes would be the best. 2 would most likley do it. but 3 would for sure. i know newer fords can have a 4 inch body lift for them. but i would not go more than 3. the only way i see a 12 inch suspension lift working on a blazer would be a divorced t case and CV drive shafts.
    and also as for crossover steering. yeah, umm.. if ya dont have it i would do it. if no cross over there is a saginaw steering box that bolts in from a ford(or jeep) that drops down 3 or 4 inches. i would do that if no crossover. grant