Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12 volt shock

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 3, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I had a battery fly down and hit the header in my shortbed yesterday. I grabbed it to get it out of the way, and as I was leaning over the core support holding onto the battery, I felt electricity going through my right arm.

All said and done, afterwards I felt the spot where my stomach was leaning on the core support, and there was this big red spot, and a tiny hole in my shirt there. At first I thought it was just from having my weight on that spot... but the spot is still there like a minor burn on my skin.

I didn't think 12 volts was enough to do that.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

its not the volts its the amps, amps caused the heat, the inside of the BAtt. would have been real hott, more than a min. and there is a real good chance it would have exploded, ask me how i know:D

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

LOL.

I went wheeling a few months back. Got up about 3 miles into some rock strewn debris and was bouncing around pretty good. Smoke starts coming back through the cowl. Thought I had nicked the lower radiator hose but the battery had fallen back into the header. Had a nice hole in a brand new battery. Forgot to strap it back down when I replaced it the day before. 70.00 down the crapper. ack. :what:

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:D:D:D

Come back when you've been hit with 50,000 volts...............

:p:

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

owwwww i got hit fron the HEI that hurts, and from a 220 dryer outlet that was supposed to be dead(stupid sparkys) that wasent fun eaither

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Ya might be a little on the crispy side but everyone loves bacon in the morning. :D

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It was the current... 300 milliamps can give you a big shock if it passes through your body, too...

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I know how you feel.

When i was a younger, stupider me i wrongfully exposed my body to a 17KVdc jolt from a radar transmitter cap rack/ pulse forming network.

All i remember was waking up on hte floor and not being able to see...everything was white.

Got a free 24 hour stay in the hospital for that one, and i assure you it will not happen again

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm always afraid of getting electrocuted... Seems most things I do to any of my vehicles involve electricity... On top of that, I'm pretty good at sending sparks flying with just about every project :haha:

Installing subs and an amp is especially stressful, especially after the initial spark is sent. I've almost got it down to where I can do it without sparks, but it just happens.... Using jumper cables scares the piss out of me... Sometimes nothing happens, other times I think I'm going to die with all the sparks and loud popping noises.........

Maybe I should just not do anything that involves my battery............ But then I wouldn't be able to do anything... I guess suspension stuff doesn't really involve the battery... Just the wonderful thought of what if I pull the wrench too hard and the truck falls off the jack and it's sitting there with the springs out and no tires, I'd be out a Jeep... Of course, there's no real danger involved. Every time I've messed with suspensions I've had the pleasure of using a hydraulic lift, air tools, a highly trained mechanic at my side, and a heated garage :saweet:

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    When I was younger, I was jumping my 70SS Chevelle with my 71 Chevelle and had done the battery to battery connection many dumb times before without a problem. This time, the second I touched the last connection to the battery, BOOM!! :yikes: The battery blew the whole top off and lucky for me, I kinda duct before it got be bad. I was really lucky.
    NEVER HOOK BATTERY TO BATTERY! Always hook the last connection to ground on some metal, away from the battery. It can and does happen.

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I hooked up jumpers on my big big truk bakcwards and it started smoking, I haven;t touched it since....

I need to go jump it soon

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

"electrocuted" by 12 volts? give me a break. i get zapped with 100a 110v almost daily, customers not taking care of their shore cords on their motorhomes. grab ahold of it to unplug. *zap*