Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12" vs 11" clutch? opinions on what I should use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 18, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

12\" vs 11\" clutch? opinions on what I should use?

I have an 11" clutch disc and pressure plate right now in my K5. It came with a 305 and an 11" setup and when I swapped in the 350 I put on a zoom 11" pressure plate and a new autozone 11" disc. Now I am going to put in yet another engine but this time it will be a brand new rebuilt 355 with slight cam. I want to know should I spend the money and put in the 12" clutch setup? If so do you know where i can get a full setup for a reasonable price? I mean pressure plate, clutch disc, and throwout bearing for like under $120. I haven't checked how much it is at autozone yet but I know the centerforces are more then I care to spend, I know they are great and all but I just don't want to spend $300.

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

Re: 12\" vs 11\" clutch? opinions on what I should use?

for the additional cost and your current setup, id give the 11" a try.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What condition is you clutch in ??? If you must replace, then I'd go to the larger one, but if you don't need to replace, run what ya got.

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

The LUK rep set clutch with T.O. bearing, Piliot bearing, disk, and pressure plate, and aliighnment tool is 118$.99 from LUK. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for the 12"

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I just did something similar, but I was putting in a 454 and I went with the 11 inch clutch. It had more than half its life left on it so I figured why not. I did a few posts at the time and a lot of guys have done the same with no real problems. I even towed my old K30 on a 1500lb car trailer for a while and everything is fine.

If you don't tow a lot I wouldn't worry about it.
    But in the end, clutch wear is greatly, greatly influenced by the driver.

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I can get you a hook up on LUK stuff..I can get you a RepSet for less than $100 (That includes Pres. Plate, Disc, TO bearing, alignment tool, and pilot bearing) or i can get you the LUK ProGold for around $190...I think the RepSet would be PLENTY for your 355...I am going with the LUK ProGold when I swap in my 454...My people are unaware that LUK actually makes most of the clutch components for Centerforce, but IMHO, the LUK progold is a better clutch...BTW, Napa sells LUK stuff, and since I work at Napa, I can get you a hookup... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I will check on the exact price of a RepSet tomorrow...A 12" clutch is a good idea, esp, if you wheel it (need to ride the clutch a bit in some wheeling situations) and tow w/ it and it depends on how you drive..I only use my clutch to start the truck from a stop and when I am racing people and need to shift a lot faster than the engine spool-down will allow me to...The rest of I just let the ol 465 fall into gear...

Chris

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I always use the clutch, just never liked letting it fall into gear. I also wheel and plan to a lot more. I also trailer infrequently. Once a month or so. In the end I think I am going with the 12". I just really don't want to risk it, I mean I just did a full engine swap I don't want to come back in a month or so and do a clutch.