Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12000 lb electric milemarker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Jan 3, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I finally had the chance to put the new winch to the test. Twice in one weekend!
    First, dad called and was buried 2 hours away at the hunting lease. He tried the land owner and he wouldn't even hook on to him. Called the only tow company and they wanted $200 just to look at him then extra to extract. When I arrived, I had to dig his hitch out of the ground to hook on to him. Pulled right out.

Then came the test. My brother in law has been trying to extract an old (maybe 30 something model) flat bed work truck that was his grand dads many moons ago. This thing has been sitting under a tree so long that it sank into the ground up to the axles and frame. He tried hooking it up with his warn 9.5 and F-150 but no luck at all. He tried our big tractor but it just buried the wheels. I pulled the burb up to it and parked the tractor beside me. With a snatch block and big D ring I started the pull. It drug the burb and the tractor. After I scotched the tires on the tractor and set the ebrake I started to pull again and out it rolled. I was very impressed.

His warn has pulled us out of many sticky situations but for half the price, I am very impressed with my Milemarker.:D

2. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Awesome! I was looking at an 8k or the 9.5k but wasnt sure because everyone I've talked to has a warn. The military puts the MM 12k on the smaller trucks (1.5 ton and smaller) but noone ever uses them.

3. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

The mil uses the 12k MM hydraulic winches, not the electrics. MM's electrics have been plagued with problems in the past (they are made in China [​IMG]), but I have heard that the current models are supposed to be better. It sounds like the OP's did OK...

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Actually the ones Army uses are MM 10,500 lbs.

5. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Did you get the E model, the SE, or the SI? I spoke in person with one of the customer service reps at Four Wheel Parts warehouse in Compton. Told him I was in the market for a winch and he said the newer Milemarkers are just as good as the Warns, but they are indeed made overseas. Spoke to sales guys at both the Santa Ana and the Riverside stores and they said the same thing (which is interesting because you'd think they would push the more expensive product). Guy in the Riverside store said he's had more Warns come back than the Milemarkers. This is just what I was told, take it for what it's worth... ;)

6. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

It was the SI 12000 with the hood over it. If you order one make sure to check the top part of the hood for a dent and crack. It is cast aluminum (sp?) and the way it is packaged I think it sits on the roller fairlead. The first one I bought was cracked through and I called 4wparts and they had another on my doorsteps next day. The second was dented a little but no cracks so I mounted it up. $599.99 no taxes, no shipping.

7. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

You mean like this one?

[​IMG]

Good to hear you're happy with it, hope mine works just as well. No cracks or dents on the aluminum "hood" on mine...

8. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

9. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

How long do you cook a 12k? I never had side of hat and hook.;) Wife would kill me if i put my winch on the dinner table........:D :doah: :crazy: ;) :p:

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

By attatching the snatch block to the "load" you made a 2:1 hauling system. This does two things makes your pulling strength higher but for every two feet of wire that comes into the winch your "load" only moves one foot.

11. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

She wasn't home when I put it there, and it's too heavy for her to move it! :haha::haha::haha:

12. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I also have had good service out of my se1200# mm. I pulled out a 1942 2ton chevy 4x4 dump truck with a single line pull,flat tires,stuck brakes, sunk into the ground all that good stuff.
    If you are looking for a fast winch than the MM's are not it. But if you want an inexpensive winch with loads of torque than give it a try.