Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12B 2wd vs 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have a buddy with a 2wd 12B rear end. He wants to buy the 4:56 gears from my 4wd 12B rear... would they fit? Also, he needs a carrier... my TruTrac is toast. He could pick up a spool for a 4wd 12B and it would fit in? What are the differences between the housings? Can he swap in example a 12B spool, his 5 lug axles, and my 4:56 gears into my housing which is setup for rear discs?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Is his 12b 2wd axle from a truck, if so it should fit. The axles are interchangable. the only thing that may give your friend problems is if someone else put a car 12 bolt in the place of the truck one. Then the housing will be to small for your carrier.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

AFAIK as long as they are both truck 12 bolts then the carriers and gears will interchange. 12 bolt truck and 12 bolt car axles are different though and nothing inside will interchange.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The 5 lug stuff will fit in yours and vice versa . I sent my 5 lug shafts to iceman44 and he sent me 6 lug shafts when I bought my 12 bolt , perfect fit . Now the difference I found with the 4wd and 2wd housings is the driver side shock mount is a little low . I have to run that shock upside down or the body hits the axletube . I have seen 4wd axles with my same flip lift where the shocks still fit fine /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif