Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12b w/ Gov loc?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaptCrunch, Mar 1, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well finally found a 12b with 4.10's, but he's not super sure of details on it. Were most 12b's in the late 70's open or did they have that gov lock crap? If it did have a gov lock does anyone make a posi or locker to fit it? It is teamed w/ a front 10b so I assume it is probably 77-80. Last of all if the R&P is good and I wanted to replace the bearings and seals in it would I be stuck resetting all the R&P measurements? Thanks

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I don't know if most came with the Gov, but mine did. But, it doesn't matter with the 12bolt. The detroit will replace the carrier anyway, so its not like if you have a 14boltFF with the Gov, then you have to find an open carrier inorder to put the detroit in there. But the 12bolts stock carrier is what gets replaced with the lockers and its carrier.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

3. CaptCrunch

What usually happens when those gov locks pukes out?

4. CaptCrunch

just been kicking what you said around adn doesn't the detroit locker just replace the spider gears in the carrier? I would assume I can use the same carrier because looking at applications for the lock rights and powertrax they say all 12 bolts. Did you swap your gov-loc out?

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Most 12b's in the late 70's came open, i.e. no Gov-lock.
    If you replace bearings and races you will have to at the least measure the ring and pinion specs. and 99.99999%
    have to make adjustments.