Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12bolt gov-lok , 10 bolt posi questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Feb 12, 2005.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi all I a have a 79 blazer that I am swapping the axles out of. I purchased a set of axles thinking that they were open 3.73 geared 10 and 12 bolts. The problem is that I was getting ready to install my lockrite in my 12bolt when I found that it had the gov-lok. As for the 10 bolt it was an open diff but has 3.90 gears in it, (glad I got them cheap) anyways I am trying to decide on what I should do here. Should I run the gov lok or sell it, Should I just go ahead and put 4.10 in the 12bolt that I have and run my lockright? The 10 bolt it is getting a posi unit and either 4.10 gears or 3.73s depending on which route I go. Whith the posi unit in the 10 bolt helping pull the blazer along would the 12bolt gov-lok hold up to anything. Oh, I am running 33s and do desert offroading, so no mud or snow.
    Sorry for so many questions. Thanks
    Shawn

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Out here the axles themselves will live with 33's , the Gov Loc won't . Don't bother with front posi out here either , it won't grab anything without some wheelspin . So you have 2 10 bolts and 2 12 bolts now . If you are having someone set your gears up for you have him set up open carriers , and use the lockrights . Pitch the other housings , or save them for later use , and sell the Gov Loc on Ebay where idiots buy them and pay well . Put the leftover spider gears and axles in your truck for trail spares . Many of us AZ guys are running 12 bolts out here :k5: :k5: