Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

12bolt help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JDELBLAZ, Nov 5, 2000.

1. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

i bought this 12 bolt rear for my 89 k5 and am rebuilding it but have a problem with the c clip one came off no problem the other is stuck to the axle shaft i ordered new axle shafts but how do i get it out i try to use a punch but still wont move can i cut the shaft to remove it or what thanks for your help

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Uhhhh, don't use a punch. It should slip right off after the axle is pushed in, rotate the carrier a little. Unless you're swapping carriers bearings et al and don't care about metal shards in a precision component- then get a bigger hammer[​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

your axle may have a groove worn into it at the outer bearing and can't slide in far enough to let the c clip fall out. Wiggle the axle and tap it in toward center first with a small hammer and then increase hammer size as necessary. I had one axle that required a 16 pound sledge.

[​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, here is my explanation.

The clip is shaped like and C , you have to rotate the carrier until you can see the back(fully closed part) of the C clip. Then grap it with a pair of needlenose pliers or something similar and pull it out.

The center pin of the carrier must be removed to do this and the axle needs to be pushed in towards the center of the diff. Make sure your e-brake isnt on so you can push in the axle easier.

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com